Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Letters from George Washington Jones and Helena Mar Hill-Jones (Parents of Papa Jones)

The letters below are from Helena Mar Hill-Jones to her brother.  They are dated 1873.  Helena Mar Hill-Jones was Papa Jones Mother aka "little grandma".    

I would like to give a  big thank you to the Jones Cousins in South Texas.  They supplied these letters to the blog.   They stumbled upon this blog and contacted me which was such a great surprise!  They are wonderful people and I am so happy to get to know them.  I will write more about them soon.

Levicey D. McMinn-Hill-Bone was Helena's mother.
Helena was writing to her brother (one of the bone brothers) about the death of their mother.
If you remember from Papa Jones' Amarillo Globe Article, the Bone's inspired him to become a physician.
I love her line in the first letter, "what is home without a mother."  
George Washington Jones.  Notice how his hands are folded.  I assume that is because he only had one arm and hand.  He lost the other in the Civil War.  I think he was so handsome.

Helena Mar Hill-Jones.  She wrote the letters above.  She was such a pretty woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment