Papa and Mama Jones were living in Sayre, OK. Juanita was a little girl and Lucile was a young woman not yet married.
It was during WWI and many people did not have a lot of money. Papa Jones wasn't making a lot as a physician because if others did not have any money then they had none to pay when they needed a doctor. It would not be too long before Papa Jones enlisted in the army as a surgeon. He was stationed in states and operated on many wounded soldiers ,etc. He would have been 56 years-old at this time.
Dear Sister and All,
Ed just now came up and brought your letters and the electric iron. Hope you are all well. You take Geo at his word and come right on over. I don't think it is near as hot here as there. I am so uneasy about the babies. (Georgia Lucile and Geraldine). Juanita was so tickled that she just ran around like a chicken with it's head cut off. You need the rest and change. Lucile will soon be home.
Papa says every few days something about your all coming. He said several times if he had the money he would send for you. You could get someone to look after the chickens. They wouldn't need much looking after. Hope Byron is alright. Didn't he give you his letter? I told him to. I told in it that I got the package. Juanita was so tickled over her things. She thinks the little doll is grand. I wrote you yesterday and also sent a package.
Guess you will get them today. Hope Martha's baby is alright. Suppose they took it to a Chiropractor. Well guess I had better quit and get to ironing. Can't use the iron until three as the power doesn't come on until then. Just get your things together and bring her and come right on. Hope all are feeling alright by now. Lots of love, Mother
July 22, 1916
Dear Sister,
Your letter or 19 was rec'd this morning. We were glad to hear from you, but sorry you were having such a time with your tonsils. Say, it is a capital idea for you to bring those babies up here. It is hot. Temps have registered 106 last Wednes but cooler now. I am sure the heat is not as oppressive as it is there and the change would be of benefit to all of you. If the babies should get sick, we can care for them here just as well and better than if you were at home. My business is picking up but it is not the best season of the year for collecting. Let us hear from you at once. Lovingly, Dad
ps- The electric Iron came this morning.


No comments:
Post a Comment