Saturday, July 26, 2014

1917 letter from Mama (Annie) Jones to Trixie

Sayre, OK
December 15, 1917
Dear Sister, I wrote you a few nights ago but was in such a hurry I failed to say anything about the check.  Many thanks for it.  Was glad to get it.  About the ring- I said the last time Lucile was in that I believe I would sell it and pay some of these debts.  She said let me buy it.  I told her I was just joking so guess I better not let it go as she would think better let her have it.  She has gone to Fort Worth.  Mrs. McDonald (her mother-in-law at the time) phoned me that she had a letter from Clarence saying they were still quarantined so she would get to see him after the 23rd as that is when the quarantine is lifted.  Juanita was sick all day yesterday so I didn't get to go out and see about anything.  I sure would like to go see Shelley but don't know yet.  I haven't any shoes but could wear my slippers and overgaiters- I gave Juanita a dose of camomile tablets night.  She seems about alright this morning.  I will get my teeth in a few days.  Dr. Asbury said I will always have trouble with the lower ones as my gums are all gone and there is nothing for them to fit tight on.  Stanley sent Juanita $10 for a coat and cap.  She wrote to him for money to buy them with.  I will pay 8.00 on my teeth as I had made her a coat and the cap costs 2.00- long stocking cap.  I haven't washed for over two weeks. I will have to wash but can't stand this kind of weather.  The hydrants are all frozen up and it is just too cold.  I made Mrs. Connora's silk dress. Finished it yesterday. We owed them 3.75 for pasture rent.  So I made the dress for that.  I am going to try to sell the piano, cow and the rest of the chickens and pay what we owe.  I don't want to be tied down with anything.  The cow has 1.18 mortgage on her.  I just renewed the note on her for 60 days.  I don't know whether papa got all his pay or not.  He only sent me 55.00 and you know that won't go very far when it comes to paying bills.  Byron is working in Russell's drug store.  I don't like him to run with John R. He has a tough name. Well, guess I better quit and get to work.  I will have to go to town this eve and try to collect.  Write when you can.  Lots of love, Mother
I wrote you last night. You can try to get meat scraps from butcher shop.  get a package of some kind of laying powders- no ones hens are laying around here.  I have just one that lays every other day.






No comments:

Post a Comment