Saturday, July 26, 2014

Byron Jones- Army Bound! Letter and Photos.... 1918

The train that Byron took when he left for the Army.




This is what Trixie wrote on the back:  "Byron Jones, the day he went to the Army.  One of the saddest days of my life."  Trixie loved her brother so very much!


Byron leaving on the Train for the Army.  


Camp Pike- Tuesday, Sept. 24-1918
Dear Sister, I have a few minutes spare time just now, so will write to you and let you know, I received the box with the eats in it, today.  I just knew it was from you, before I ever got ahold of it.  You are always so good to think of everyone that way.  Maybe you think I wasn't glad to get it.  The cake was sure good, it was fresh and fine as could be.  I got the box just before dinner, so I took the cake to dinner with me for dessert.  You are getting pretty classy when you have cake for dessert in the Army.

I have just got in from the drill field, it sure was warm this afternoon.  They are drilling us pretty muchly now, so we don't have much time.  My ankle never has bothered me yet, and I don't believe it will, I hope not anyway.  I would sure like to see all of you this evening.  Has the little baby grown much?  (I think this baby would be Aunt Marjorie) Kiss them all for me.  I got a letter from mamma a few days ago.  I am going to try to answer them tonight.  I still have no idea how long I will be here.  Nor no one else knows either.  I saw Eddy Brady last Saturday night, we had a little chat down at the YMCA.  I had seen him once before about 3 weeks ago over in the casual co.

He has been transferred from there only a few days.  He said Guy Russell was moved too but they are not in the same co.  I haven't seen Guy but once.  I saw Henry Raudill today.  I remember when we used to go to school together out at Sayre.  I used to think he could write so good on a slate.  Sis, you may have a little trouble reading this as I am writing on my knee, I mean writing with the paper resting on my knee and can't very well do it.  Well can't say I love Army life, but I know I have to stay in it, so I will try to like it a little.  Believe me a fellow sure toes the mark around these "diggins".  If I can get along as well as I have so far, I will make it alright.

Well sis, it is supper time, so will have to quit.  I am going to tell you again that I sure was tickled to get the box from you.  You don't  know how it made me feel.  Lots of love to all  Byron.  PS- theres not a night that passes but what I think of all my folks and it helps me try to do right.

No comments:

Post a Comment