VOLUME II
Sayre, OK
Monday
August 31, 1908
Leah Came down awhile. Jewel and I went to town about 10. Went to see Aunt Carrie. Saw Mr. Minteer. Got some cards from Guy. (Guy is Guy Jones- he is Uncle Herschel's son who is Papa Jones' brother.) We took a nap after dinner- went to town late. Jewel and I ate supper at the "Hedgepeth" with Mr. Le Compte. He and Earl came up. We played cards and went to Eastern "to do". Earl gave me a little "Uni Pin". He made a date for the dance Tues. night. After dinner, we took Shelley to the train at 3:30. Remember how jewel was going to bid Shelley good bye. ha!! We met Le Compte and fixed up tennis court. Gee- but I was tired and sleepy. We played tennis later. Mr. Compte joined us. We came by drug store. The folks went to court. We all sat in the yard. (Jewel, Le Compte, Earl and I) We ate melon and had lots of fun. Earl and I had a time getting our chairs fixed.
Friday, September 4
| University Pin |
| Trixie is in the black dress |
Friday, September 4
We did nothing. Only tare around here. Sing etc.- remember horn. Jewel and I would walk around and go to sleep on each other shoulders- ha! Took a nap. Phoned to Earl. He wanted us to go to Holiness meeting- I went in and told him I couldn't go. We went to court. Took baby (Juanita) to Clay's.Leah was with us awhile. We went to Clay's. I asked Tom and Le Compte to come up. Tom was going to bring Mr. Young. Jewel ate supper with Hon. I came home, got Logan. Went by hotel. Jewel and I brought Le. C. to town. Went back and got Sara. Mr. Le Compte, Leah, Tom and Frank came up. We played cards, ate melon. Sara stayed here.
| Baby Juanita. She was Trixie's younger sister. Born when Trixie was eighteen. |
| Trixie (in black dress) playing tennis with friends |
Saturday, September 5
We got up at 6 and played tennis- Leah came down. Jewel and I took Sara home. Frank came in town with us. We washed our hair. I tried to sleep. We bathed and went to town. Leah came by and went. Mr. Le Compte and Jewel drove. They, Earl and I went to the Doxey picnic. The drive was lovely. The moon shone so pretty and we had lots of fun. Got home about 11, Jewel and I ate some.
Sunday, Sept. 6
Didn't go to S.S.- I was on my high horse- fussed and fussed. Jewel and I took the baby and went up to Leahs. I fixed our lunch to go to the doxey. Mr. Le C. phoned about 16 times. Earl phoned. Sure was hot. Jewel and Stanley sent after some cream about 3. Jewel, Mr. Le. C., Mr. Minteer and I went to the Doxey.Ethel, Gus and Guy Ford joined us and ate lunch with us. We had a dandy time. Jewel was on a tare and drove like "60". We beat them home. Got here about 8. Night was lovely. (Mr. Holmes) ha,ha. Remember what a time we had because Mr. Minter let his horse go downhill so fast. They all came in. We ate melon. Jewel and I certainly were "all in".
Monday, Sept. 7
Got up early and went to train with Jewel. Took the baby and went to Leah's. Aunt Carrie phoned me and I went to work for her. Was so sleepy at noon and before but couldn't sleep. We came by ice cream parlor.
| Lucile, Aunt Carrie's sister, Newlin Jones (Aunt Carrie's son),Aunt Carrie, Carrie's sisters are the last two |
Tuesday, September 8
Went to work again. Nothing unusual happened. Walked up to Leah's after supper.
Wednesday, September 9
Same old thing. Aunt Carrie and I drove awhile. Made Oral a waist. Inna and Beatrice Ramsey came. Lucile and I kept baby. Mama went to Eastern Star.
Thursday, September 10
Went to office as usual. Hot and sleepy.
Friday, September 11
Got a dress at Clay's. Sewed some after supper. Aunt Carrie and her girls came over.
Saturday, September 12
Sewed until about 3. Made a gingham dress. Went to town and helped Aunt Carrie awhile. Went up to Leah's after supper. She and I went to town.
| Advertisement from Aunt Carrie and Uncle Donald's Abstract Company in Sayre, OT- 1908 |
Went to S.S. and had to lead. Mama went to Aunt Carries. I stayed at home all day and read, wrote some to Cara, Mary and Minnie. Went over to Aunt Carries about 5:30. Earl came by and brot me home and stayed quite awhile.
Monday, September 14
Didn't go to Dr. office to work. We worked on the boys waists. Took the baby and went to Leah's after supper. (rained)
Tuesday, September 15
Went to town early. Sent Louis outfit to Le Compte. Took the balls to Mr. Minteer. He will return them . Saw Frank. Almost fell down on the walk by the palace- felt like a fool. Went to see prof. Harris but he was gone. Saw Maude as I went to town. Went to town after dinner.
Wednesday, September 16
We sewed all day. It rained today and Tuesday too.
| The J.U.G. club Babe Daughtery, Maude Andrews, Hattie Kirby, Leah Lewis, Minnie McChleban, Sara Faris, Trixie Jones, Lizzie Huffermaker, Johnnie Herring |
Thursday, September 17
Today Jessie married. Sewed some. Got dinner while rebecca washed. Took baby and went up to Leah's after supper.
Friday, September 18
Mama went to Foss on the 3:20. After she left, I went to town. Was up at Aunt Carrie's office. Maud came by (she and her fellow from MO- Hugh Ramsey) and wanted me to drive. I told her i was going to stay with Aunt Carrie. I went home with Aunt C. for supper. We drove to depot to meet Uncle D. (Donald) Leah was here and stayed all night. Lucile and I ate melon.
Saturday, September 19
Jessie came by about seven. I was playing. I went to town and got her a present and Lucile a bracelet- went up to see Jessie a moment. Papa wanted the buggy so I hurried back to town. Nobody here for dinner except rebecca and me. Lucile went to Berlin with Oral. I felt lost. Went up to Leah's- she was gone. Then went to town. Then In front of Lewis' store I met -Sal- was surprised. Lucile and O drove. Took coat to town. At 3:30, I took papa to train. He went to Foss.
Sunday, September 20
Went to S.S.- didn't stay for church. Rode topsy up to Leah's. She and I drove in their new buggy. Started to go to train to meet Mrs. Brockman and Joe went over there awhile. Lucile and I drove- went to 7:20 train and met the folks. Zoe came over- went to church with Mr. Young.
Monday, September 21
Thought school was going to begin but couldn't get books, etc. Went over to Brockman's- served some. Maude came up. I called on Miss McClure. Later got Mrs. Brockman. Lucile and I went to town. Aunt Carrie bummed with us. (I weight 140 pounds)
Tuesday, September 22
Helped Aunt Carrie. Coot came over and invited me to a party at his house. Went with Earl. The crowd was - Zoe- Harry Hugo, Leah-Coot, Maud- Mr. Cabbiness. Mable Bennet- Mr. Trimble, Mr. Young- Miss Beatrice, Sara, Mr. and Mrs. Martin, Tom- Ima's cousin (miss fisher) Mr. Minteer and me. fine time . Earl and Mrs. Martin won the prizes. Stormed and rained just as we got home. Waited on porch awhile. Harry was waiting for Earl in the rain. ha,ha
| Ellie Brownfield, Trixie Jones, Frank Faris, Coot Clay, Sara Faris, Joe Fisher, Maude Andrews, Willie Kagan, Johnnie Herring |
Wednesday, September 23
Sure was sleepy. Worked all day- awful tired. all went to Good Samaritan Lodge. Had lots of fun. They initiated a whole bunch of women and girls.
Thursday, September 24
Went to office at 9. Sure was "all in". Got a letter from Shelley. Ate dinner with Aunt Carrie. She came home with me for supper. Papa and Mama fixed to go to church but Uncle Paul (papa Jones brother- who was also a doctor) came. they went over to Aunt Carrie's. I kept the baby and wrote in my diary for a week back. Uncle Paul and Donald came over.
Friday, September 25th
Worked again. Ate dinner with Aunt Carrie. So did Mrs. Mc Kathern and Annie. Awfully windy. Big circus in town. Zoe and I walked over to tent- Sol came and talked to us awhile. Went back and worked till 6. Storm coming up. I hurried home. Passed Sol at store. Mr. John Mc Kathern's were here all night. Rained hard-didn't go to circus.
Saturday, September 26
Nothing happened. Worked in Office. Jessie and I went to town.
Cute note from a boy asking Trixie for a date. Notice where it says he sent the note by her youngest brother, Edgar because he was afraid to bring it to her house if older brother Shelley was home. |
Sunday, September 27
Went to S.S. Aunt Carrie, Miss McClure and I started to church. Went to M.E. then Baptist. After dinner, Mrs. McClure came over. We and Zoe went to town- got some cards, ice cream. Saw Sara and Leah.
Monday, September 28
School began. Went over to the school house. Then was sent to one of the little blue houses. Only had eleven in the 8th. Miss Martin had a 4th. I was sent in the room with her. Didn't do much- only get name and give a list of books- heard a few classes. Jessie waited for me at noon.
Tuesday, September 29
Same old story- got along fine. not half enough new books. Jessie waited again.
Wednesday, September 30
Got along real well today. Went to town after school.
Thursday, October 1
Mama sent me dinner. I moved to Miss Kauchers room and had a small in Miss Nina Borders room. Leah came down.
Friday, October 2
We got along fine although it is a little inconvenient- went over to Brockman's after supper.
Saturday, October 3
Worked on our green suits- Aunt Carrie and Uncle ate dinner here. Went to dance with Mr. Minteer. Had a dandy time.
Saturday, October 4
Went to S.S. and church. Leah went to Guthrie. Went over to Aunt Carrie's for dinner. She and I drove late. Got a letter from Gerry and Louis.
Monday, October 5- Thursday, October 8
Same old story- went to school. Got along fine. Went to town one of two evenings.
Friday, October 9
After Recess all went to Miss Borders room and had speaking. Thot we sure would get moved but Dr. Johnson hadn't moved.
Saturday, October 10
Walked to town with Coot.Worked at Pragau's sale. Had lots of fun. Zoe had supper with me- we worked after supper. Mrs. Shrouse phoned and made a date to go to church Sunday morn. Vivian came. She, Uncle and Aunt came up and Zoe and Mrs. B.
Sunday, October 11
Went by Aunt Carries. Vivian and I went to S.S. Mr. Shouse came there- we went to Baptist church. Zoe and I drove awhile- went to church with Mr. Shouse. Made a date for Tuesday night.
Monday, October 12
No house yet- we were disappointed. Becca and I went by for Aunt Carrie and went to a temperance meeting at court house. A Mr. Smith came home with Becca. We went to the P.O.
Aunt Carrie turned over a lantern at something- we had lots of fun. Tried to walk them down. (I went to town and saw Georgia Freeman- she is a case. She called Mr. Shrouse and I walked up the hill with him.
Tuesday, October 13
We moved to our own little school house. Got a long fine. We had new stone and desks. Baptist meeting began- went with Mr. Shouse.
Wednesday, October 14
"Ditto" -Mamma, Vivan, Aunt Carrie and I went to church.
Thursday, October 15
"Ditto again" Mrs. Shouse and I went to church again. Walked home with Miss Bee. Coot rolled the baby buggy down the hill for me.
Friday, October 16
Miss McKinsie came by for a short while. Had church at skating rink- the kids all went. (Miss Martin and I went by church with the school children- Met Bro. Bennett.
Saturday, Ocotber 17
Went to church at 10. Miss martin and I went at 2 and 4 on the street. I came home and brought the baby. Just as I came in the phone rang. (Mr. Shouse) I went up to Miss Ina's and Brockman's. We went to church (Mr. Shouse and I) Went to choir. Papa and Mama went- but the baby cried so they left.
Sunday, October 18
Went to Sunday School and Church at Baptist Church. (Aunt C, Uncle D, Vivian and Dock). Wind blew very hard. Papa and I went to church at 3:30. Met Miss Hahnes from Vernon. She came home with me. we went to church at 7:30. Mr, Whitehouse joined. Mr. Shouse went home today but came home and brot me. Miss Hahnes came home with me.
Monday, October 19
Nothing new- took my dinner to school. Mr. Shouse and I went to church then Opera house. Illinois Glee club. Fine.
Tuesday, October 20
Same thing over again. Mr. Shouse and went to a show. The Material Girl.Took a music lesson.
Wednesday, October 21
I intended to go to church, but Papa had been hunting and was tired. Nothing new at the school.
Thursday, October 22
Rained and cold. Becca, Lucile and I went to church- only a few there. Mr. Shouse called me up before church.
Friday, October 23
Had speaking at school. Mama came over. After school, I took a music lesson. Rebecca was converted. Mr. Shouse took me home after school.
Saturday, October 24
I fixed report cards all morn. Practiced some. Went to church at 3:30. Mama and I went to town. Papa and I went to church. Waited at drug store while he went after his coat. Mr. Shouse was in there. Saw him in there this eve too.
Sunday, October 25
Went by Aunt Carries. We all went to S.S and church. Mr. Shouse came home with me and said he was going to stay for dinner. He came up and we went to church at 3:30. after we came home, we took logan and drove some. Went to church at night with him. He asked if I wanted to go to the show or church. I decided church so we were going. (Aunt Carrie, Vivian, Uncle D and Cousin Newlin- ate dinner here).
Monday, October 26th
At noon, Mr. Shouse phoned me that he had to go to Clinton. After school, I got a letter from him. Too bad. Went to church with Becca. We went by for Aunt Carrie and him.
Tuesday, Octoner 27th
Nothing happened unusual. Went to school. didn't go to church. Lucile and Rebecca went. Took a music lesson.
Wednesday, October 28th
Same thing over again. Becca and I went to preaching. Closed tonight. I got a letter from Mr. Shouse.
Thursday, October 29th
Nothing to write. Went to town.
Friday, October 30th
Coot came at noon and wanted me to work for them Sat. Took a music lesson- Got the cutest card from Mr. Shouse. Went to Mrs. Martin's to see Alice Penn. Went to carnival. Coot took us "around and round" She stayed all night with me. We saw Mr. Minteer. He made a date for us- Sat. Night and Alice stayed. Not exactly a date but he said we would go to the carnival.
Saturday, October 31
Went to Clay's and worked. Went to school house about 11 to teachers meeting. Worked till 6. Mr. Humphrey, Shelley Hines and Mr. Minteer were up here to see Zoe, Alice and me. We went to carnival- had lots of fun. Mr. Hines is a sight! I laughed and laughed at him. Got a letter from Mr. Shouse.
Sunday, November 1
Went by Aunt Carrie's. Then to S.S. and Church. We drove a long time. I burned my hand with Steam. Went to town and called Papa. It was hurting awful bad. Took Alice to train. Mr. Cabiness came up town with me. I sent Mr. Shouse a card. Didn't go to church. Wrote to Mr. Shouse. (Uncle D. ate supper here).
Monday, November 2
Nothing unusual happened. Was fixing to go to the show and Mrs. Brockman came over and said Zoe was expecting me over there to play cards. Mr. Minteer came. We went (Ben Turner, Vivian, Sarah, Zoe, Mr. Hines, Mr. Minteer and I) had a real good time.
Tuesday, November 3
"Election Day"
No school. Practiced 2 hours. L.D. came and we sang. Went to Brockman's and then to town. saw Mr. Minteer told him not to come up. (Zoe got up a fudge party here) took a lesson at 3:30. Went to see Mr. Ballard. After my lesson, I went to Aunt Carrie's and sewed my stocking. Uncle D. drove me to town. I wrote to Shelley. Bessie and Una came up to see Lucile. I felt bad and went to bed early. Heard clock strike 11. (washed my head)
Wednesday, November 4
Went to school, got a letter from Mr. Shouse. Wrote to him after supper. Mr. Nelius stayed here over night.
Thursday, November 5
Nothing to write. Leah came home.
Friday, November 6
Took a music lesson. Byron, Edgar, Lucile and I went to town. Got me some shoes at Clays. We like to have died laughing. (bot them from Harry- he is a case. (Leah came to school house before school). The girls gave a leap year dance (Zoe and Sara). Maude visited school.
Saturday, November 7
Got up early and went to Elk City. Went by for Miss Kate. Uncle Donald took me. We had lots of fun- football boys. We bummed all over town. After dinner, Mr. Minteer, Miss Kate and I drove- had a real good time. Saw the game at 2:30- Elk beat 16-5. After supper, Claud Taylor, Miss Kate, Mr. Minteer sent Jewel and Mr. Shouse a card. Mr. H.C. Ford joined us and we went to the M.P. show. After we got home, we went to the second number of the Lycenne Course. Oh, but I was tired and my feet hurt me so.
Sunday, November 8
Went to Sunday S. Miss McClure and I went to P.O. then Baptist Church with Aunt Carrie and Uncle Donald. Mr. Shouse called me up about 9. He had just come home.
Monday, Nov. 9
Talked to Mr. Shouse awhile on phone
School as usual
Tuesday, November 10
Same old thing. School, Etc. Talked to Mr. Shouse.
Wednesday, November 11
Mr. Shouse and I went to moving picture show. Aunt Carrie, Uncle D., Vivian, and Miss Julia were all here- blocked up when I came home.
Thursday, November 12
Nothing doing unusual
Friday, November 13
Took a music lesson. Mr. Shouse and I went to the Moving Picture show. Becca's fellow came "Hugh". Mrs. Vance stayed here.
Saturday, November 14
Becca went home. I did Dr. work. Went to town, Leah came by and we went to show. Mr. shouse brought me home. Ida Shatwell stayed here.
Sunday, November 15
Went to S.S. and went to Aunt Carrie's. Mr. Shouse and I went to Baptist Church. He came up after dinner. Leah was here awhile. We all walked up to the new school house. Went to baptist church with him.
Monday, November 16
Had a teachers meeting at the school house. Mrs. Brockman was here. Mr. Shouse and I went to see "An American Hobo". Pretty good. He asked me to go to the show Tuesday night. Mama sent a letter.
Tuesday, November 17
Nothing new at school. Mr. Shouse called me up and we decided not to go to the picture show. I went to town and he walked home with me. (we passed Sol) Aunt Carrie came up to see Mama. She came home today. I went home with her before supper. Before supper, Mr. Young phoned and wanted to take me to the show. Vivian, Aunt Carrie, Uncle Donald and I played cards. They were going to the show "The Girl From Westley's" and after all my refusing to go I went with Mr. Young. Saw Mr. Shouse there. I was sorry I went but too late then. Mama and Papa were surprised that I went.
Wednesday, November 18
Called Mr. S. up before school. Papa went to the show after supper.
Thursday, November 19
Nothing different to write.
Mr. Shouse called me up to come by about 8:30 but he called up late and we went to the show. Saw "The Man from Texas" Oh My! It was fun. We liked to have died laughing. Aunt Carrie, Vivian, Mr. Nafsinger sat by us "Skittice" We clapped the mare clean off the stage!
Friday, November 20
No news. Aunt Carrie etc. came by and we all went to the show again. Mr. Shouse came home with me.
Saturday, November 21
I got up at 5:30 and ironed. The baby got up too when I did. I got breakfast. I took a bath and went to Mr. Fosters hunting the keys to the school house. Came by Leah's. Elmer was sick. Sara and Leah came and we went to town. I went to Miss Martins. Got my money at bank. I went with Leah to take Sara home. Aunt Carrie and them came by for us and we all went to the show. (Mr. Shouse was there and Sun. he told me I didn't even look at him)
Sunday, November 22
Went by Aunt Carrie's. Then to S.S. (Vivian, Aunt C and I) I ate dinner over there. Tried to phone Mr. S. The girls wanted us to go Kodaking. Aunt Carrie, Vivian and I started to town. Mr. S. joined us. Went to office. Then P.O. - He came home with me. Miss Martin came up. Lucile's crowd was here trying to get Stanley to go Kodaking. We didn't do anything but sit up here. Went to church late. Mr. S. had to get his teeth fixed and they hurt him. He came very near not to coming.
Monday, November 23
Went to town after school. Got me a waist and gingham. Mr. Shouse came home with me.I fixed out my report cards after supper.
Tuesday, November 24
I sewed after school. The teachers met here. "Reading Circle" they left about 10.
Wednesday, November 25
After recess, we had speaking- Thanksgiving Shogram- got there early and played a game- Lucile and I went over to Aunt Carries. After supper, we went to the show. Mr. S. called me up after school and wanted me to come to the show. I kept the baby and Mama and Lucile went to town. I finished my waist. Papa went to Oklahoma City.
Thursday, November 26
I got up at 5:30, got breakfast and made a cake- helped get dinner. Lucile's crowd was here trying to get up a crowd to go to Berlin. Mable, Mr. Trimble, Maude and Mr. Cabbiness wanted us to go hunting with them. Sara, Leah and Mr. Gillium wanted us to go Kodaking. We dove tho, and went to Miss Martin's. Had a gun and I killed a little meadow lark. was so sorry. Mrs. Shouse liked to have died laughing at me. The kids went to Berlin, wanted me to go but I didn't. Mrs. Brockman went. I stayed home with Leah. Sal was there. Vivian and Uncle D. came over. Mr. came and Mama and all of us went to the K.P. Supper. Then to the show. Had lots of fun. Lucile came home about 1:30 pm.
Friday, November 27
No school today. Rained all day. Cold and dark. Sleeted and snowed a little. Edgar, Gerald and I made some candy. L.D., Ervin, Uncle Donald, Ada and Ida were here. I fixed a scarf. Pressed my dress and sewed a little.The baby was awful cross. We looked for Papa. Newlin came. Byron stayed out at Paul Russell's. Lucile slept till 10:45. Mr. Shouse went to Maude's. Mr. Cabiness, Minteer, Trimble, Mable and Miss Flourney from Elk. Rained- very muddy and sloppy. Crazy for going.
Saturday, November 28
Bad and rainy all day. Leah came down and Ruth Taylor from Elk. We played cards. She wanted us to come over to Mrs. Martins after supper. Newlin came up and wanted us to come down and make candy. Stanley, Lucile and I went by and went to the opera house lecture course- electrician. Mrs. Brockman and ervin went with us. Mrs. Shouse came home with us. Rained all the way home.
Sunday, November 29
"sunshiney" Sure glad! went to S.S. Mr. Shouse called me up.Uncle Donald came up about 3. M.S. came. Aunt Carrie, Papa and us played cards. After supper we went to church. Started to Christian but they didn't have any so we went to M.E.
Monday, November 30
Went to school as usual. Leah came by from town. I walked home with her.
Tuesday, December 1
After school Miss Kate and I studied psychology. Leah came by. She said that Nablett was coming. Went to reading circle meeting at Miss Henderson's. Oh! my but it was cold! I was appointed to teach agriculture next time.
Wednesday, December 2
At recess, Leah and Ed Nablett came by. He's as crazy as ever! After school, I came by Leah's.
Thursday, December 3
Sara, Mr. Minteer, Coot and Mr. Shouse and I went to Leah's and played cards. Looked rainy and snowy.
Friday, December 4
Papa and I went to the M.P. show- pretty good. Mama came with Mrs. Brockman. I sat by Mr. Minteer.
Saturday, December 5
Miss Kate and Miss Horn came by- went to teachers meeting at 9. At noon went to Miss McClures to get her to go to ball game. back at school house at 1. Miss Kaucher, Mc Nowan, Balee Martin and I went to the football game. Sayre vs Elk. Fine. 0 to 0. We sure were proud of our boys. Mr. Shouse and I went to the m.p. show. 2 hours.
| Eva, Mary, Trixie and Kate- Sayre, OT, 1908 |
Went to S.S. and Church. Bro. Bradshaw (21 years-old) and a fine sermon. Mr. S. went home from S.S. and I went by for Vivian. After dinner, I went to Leah's. Mr. Gillium came up and we all went to Livingstons. Sara and a fellow, Erick were there. (Wrote to Lewis) We all went by p.o. and came home. Went by Aunt Carrie's and all went to church. Papa and Mama went too.
Monday, December 7
No news- Went to church. Studied some. (Katherine and I went to church, rather) (Mama and I went to town)
| Advertisements from Sayre Businesses |
Tuesday, December 8
Miss Kate and I studied after school. Leah came by. Mr. Shouse called me up. Miss Kate and I went to teachers meeting at Hoenshetts. Papa went to town before supper.
| Paper from a student of Trixie's |
Wednesday, December 9
Papa came home at noon. Mama and I went to town after school. I sewed and made a waist. Kept the baby, Mama and Lucile went to church and with Hale Davis. I got a letter from Marie.
Thursday, December 10
Pretty day. Read some notes of Blanches. She was very mad. Mama and Mrs. Kirby washed. Mrs. K and I went to town. Logan and I liked to have ran away about 3 times scared to death at auto. Ervin went to town with me once, (at noon, I went by Jessie's and Leah's. Elmer is sick. Rose, Bess, Ada, Una, Ora, Lucile and I went to church. Show tonight is "Don't tell my Wife". Mr. Shouse called me up. He has been sick
More advertisements from Sayre businesses |
Friday, December 11
Same old story- nothing happened.
| Test questions- notice the answer at the top of the page to nunber 7. Women didn't vote back then (passed in 1920) but suffrage was a hot topic even then. |
Saturday, December 12
Mr. Shouse and I went to see "This Devil"
| more school materials |
Sunday, December 13
Went to S.S. and Church. Ate dinner at Aunt Carrie's. Felt bad. Vivian and I went to town. (felt awfully bad) Mr. Shouse came up. We and Vivian went to Christian Church. Didn't go to church that eve- felt really bad. I kept the baby and Mama went. She cried for two hours.
| Note asking for a date to go "Kodaking". Dr. Hall was a young doctor who was helping her Dad at the time. |
Monday, December 14
Still felt bad. Went to school. Sore throat.
| Medicine pack from the early 1900's |
Tuesday, December 15
Went to reading circle meeting at Miss Kate's. Mr. Shouse came for me at 9. We went to "Dan Cupid". Got there real late.
Wednesday, December 16
School as usual. Getting ready for xmas program.
Thursday, December 17
Ditto
| Letter from Aunt Lulu |
Friday, December 18
Ditto. Went to town two or three evenings. Getting xmas doings.
Saturday, December 19
Went to town after dinner.
| Sayre High School, 1909 |
Sunday, December 20
Went to S.S. and church. Aunt Carrie came home with me. Then we ate dinner over there and went to town and I worked on my report cards. Mr. Shouse came up brot me six new sorrgs. (Sorrgs are poetry)We went to church at night.
Monday, December 21
Mama and I went to the Bazzar after supper.(went by for Aunt Carrie) Came home about 9. Sewed some on the xmas presents then fixed report cards. Was after 12 when I finished.
Tues. Dec 22
Worked hard on cards- putting writing and drawing on them. After school, Miss Kate and I went to town to get nuts, candy and apples for treat tomorrow. I sacked them up and then Mr. Shouse and I , Hale Davis and Lucile went to Opera house- Ladies Orchestra Lecture course. fine.
Wed. Dec 23
At noon the kids brot some peanuts. We had our treat, programming and dismissed. They all did fine. Papa, Mr. Foster and Mrs. Grisham visited us. After school, Miss Kate and I went to town again.
Thurs. Dec 24
Xmas eve. I tried to make some cakes and they were sights! had lots of fun. Leah came down real late. I called on Miss Sifford. She is dandy. Then I went to town and got some more things. There came up an awful wind storm. We started to take the baby (juanita) to the tree but couldn't. The tree at the Christian Church was a mess. Papa got us some things for our stockings. I thought he wasn't. I wanted to go to town with LD Harris.
Friday, December 25
We took dinner and supper at the restaurant. Walked around some. Had the baby's (Juanita) picture taken. I got a present from Gussie and Mary, Sent one to Jewel, Lynne, Mary, Nellie and Gussie and Aunt Lulu. (Uncle Donald and Papa expressed their opinions about presents). I read some. Mr. Shouse came up after supper. He gave me the prettiest ring.
| Juanita |
Shelley (Shelley was at OSU or then Okla A&M in college)came at noon. Byron, the baby and I went to meet him. I was sleepy and tired. Mrs. Brockman's kids and mother-in-law came over. Leah came down a long time. I read some and we went to bed early.
Sunday, December 27
Shelley and I went to church. Saw Mr. Shouse. Shelley and I went up to Prof. Foster's. Then went to Aunt Carrie's office (Jones Abstract and Title) I wrote to Grace. Una, Ada and Lucile and I walked around. Mr. Shouse and I went to church.
| Clipping about Una from the Sayre High School Clipper newspaper |
Mon. Dec 28
Got ready for Shawnee. I forgot about the lunch Mrs. Brockman fixed foe me. Shelley took me to the train. Miss Borden, Grace Henson, Kate, Miss McNoun, Kanchers, Mary McMurtry, Charley Foster and I went. and prof. Harris. Fun, fun,fun. Miss Austa Smith, Katie Gibbs and Miss Bales were with us. They wouldn't let me sleep. We tore up the train nearly- we arrived at Shawnee about 2am- raining- went to hotel and then Maries. She was expecting me. tired.
Shawnee
Tuesday, Dec 29
Foggy. Ran to catch car. Went to Norwood hotel and registered. Sayre crowd came. We went to "Becker". Not standing room. Ate dinner with Baptist ladies. Went to Opera House, etc. Marie was there and her friend Miss Bess Dickerson. Took in a show. Then drove to Marie's. Nina Brown to come back with me. Too late. Not room to stand. We were smashed to death. Saw University Orchestra. Nina stayed with us. We had lunch, etc. Saw Cotten.
Wednesday, December 30
We rushed out to the doings. I got a seat. Went to dinner with Cotten. Got with our crowd. We chased all over town. Heard Dr. Quail with Miss Ola and I went out to Marie's for a 6 o'clock dinner. We had lots of fun that we were lost. Asked a man to help us and he walked on. Ha! Ha! Nina and Lavina Brown and Miss Frankie Lee were there. We all went to "Becker". We finally squeezed in and got a seat with our crowd. I stayed at hotel with the girls. Kancher, Mary, Eva and Ola. We had lots of fun.
Thursday, December 31
We chased all over town. Had to go after my suitcase. Scared we wouldn't have time. Just did catch a car. Got suitcase and lo! and behold I had let my purse.Car was coming and I ran back. They waited. We rushed to depot. Big Mob. Wait 2 hours. Rode in smoker. Ola, Kate and Mr. Mc Rown and I. 17 coaches. Had lots of fun on our way home. Mr. Clement and Miss Austa married. I proposed to get Mr. Mc M. We ate, sang and had a great time. I tried to sleep but NIX. Not in that bunch. Got home about 9. "Dora Thorme" was played here. I was tired and sleepy.
Friday, Jan 1, 1909
I packed books all day. read some. Carl stayed here.
| Book of Trixie's. Copyright, 1896 |
Sat Jan 2
I ironed some. Read Dot Carl and Chole. Stayed here. Had a party at Mrs. Sanders. Joe Fisher and Guy (Jones) came by here.
Sun Jan 3
Went to s.s and church. Mr. Shouse came home with me. Joe, Erwin, Dot and Chole ate dinner here. Left on noon train. I washed dishes. Newlin and I drove all afternoon. Went to train. Mr. Shouse , Vivian and I drove up here. Vivian went home with me. Aunt Carrie and Uncle D ate supper with us. Mr. Shouse and I went to church.
Monday Jan 4
I got breakfast. Had a time with fire. Guy and Shelley left for school. I went to school. Folks moved. Ate dinner at Brockmans. Windy,windy. - After school, Miss Mc and I walked some. I went by Miss Kate's. Papa, Mama and I stayed at Uncle D's. Vivian and I went to a party the kids had in our house. I read. Studied reading circle.
| Shelley was quite the track star at OSU |
Tuesday, January 5
Folks left. I am going to stay at Uncle Donald's. Took lunch to school. Studied some. About 6, awful storm struck here. Cold. Eva, Miss Kate and Mary came by. We met at Mr. Brockman's.
| Nellie Powers, Mary's sister |
Wed. Jan. 6
After school, I took a bath. Uncle Donald, Aunt Carrie went to Eastern Star. I finished my book "I Shumall" fine. They came about 12 and talked until about 1. Freezing cold. Uncle talked to Papa.
| The Red River |
Thursday, January 7
Still cold. I awoke. The sun was shining on me. Looked at my watch and it was 8:23. I had 7 minutes to perform my toilet (hair, dressing, grooming,etc). I didn't take time for ceremony but dress and was gone. Oh! how cold. I never even thot of breakfast. Got there almost by the time the bell stopped ringing. Went to a party at Mrs. Martins (Earl and I). Mr. Minteer (Earl) and I won a prize each. Had such a good time. Stanley came in. Folks here went to E.S. (eastern star) blowout. I came home at 12. They at 1. Talked until 2. Gee was I ever sleepy. Talked to folks.
Info about Earl Minteer and his family
Fri, Jan 8
Felt kinda bad. Jodie had a scrap. Blanche and some girls had been having some trouble- so we settled that. Was worried all day. After school, Uncle and I drove Ervina and Pud. Wanted me to go on hayride but NIX! Aunt C and Uncle D and Vivian and Mr. Turner when to dance. I stayed here alone and wrote in diary. Talked to Lucile. Mr. Shouse wanted to come down but I said "Not tonight" and he said, "alright, Good Bye".
Sat. Jan 9
Went to town. Got some cards from Lucile and candy early so Stanley could go home. I cleaned out my trunk and cleaned up the house. Went to see Aubrey Douglas. then up to see Jessie and then to town- got some new hose and supporters. Uncle D and I drove some. Pretty and warm all day.
| One of the many poems we found in the boxes of Trixie's treasures. |
Sunday, Jan 10
Cold. Trying to snow. Aunt C and Uncle D went to Harringtons. vivian and I went to ss and church. Got colder all day. Went to Uncle Jack's restaurant for dinner. Cleaned out our trunk trays went for mail up at abstract office- thot we would freeze coming home. Mr. Turner came up. We went to church. Folks came about 10. Played whist.
Additional info on Sayre, Papa Jones, Uncle Donald (after clicking on link, scroll down to the second name which is Papa Jones)
J.M. Danner Info (She submitted the info about Papa Jones and Uncle Donald. She was the Grandmother of Darla Hood (of The Little Rascals). Darla would play with Trixie when she came to visit her Grandparents. The Danner's lived next door to the Jones family.
Monday, January 11
Snowed last night. Cold, cold, cold. About 2:30 an awful snow storm. Sunshine at 4. Came by Leah's. Miss Julie came home. Played cards. Had a time about the beds. Finally, Vivian and I bot slept on cots. It was so cold for miss julia to get up in there and make a fire. HA! Studied some for reading circle- folks played cards.
Tuesday, January 12
Still cold. School house dirty. Lots of snowballing. I came by with Miss Kate. About dark, it began to snow. Vivian and I went to town in snow. Told Miss Kate we wouldn't go to reading circle. (Miss Mc Nouns)
| Program from 1910 ( a little later than this journal) |
Wed Jan 13
Same story. Snow, Mud and Noise and school. Mr. Shouse and I, Vivan and Mr. Turner, Aunt Carrie and Uncle Donald- we went to "Faust" . Teased Mr. S. about getting mad at me.
More info about Faust
Thursday, Jan 14
Pretty, sunshiney day. Papa and Stanley came in town. After Supper, Papa and I went to O' Kelleys. I wrote to Mary. Papa got a Dr. call. Phoned all over town. Aunt C, Mrs. B, vivian, and I went to town and found Papa at Masonic Hall. Told him he needed to get back out to Scott's. Aunt Carrie stayed with Mr. Brockman.
Photo of Masonic Lodge
Friday, January 15
Got colder. I aimed to go out home but as Papa had to go back, I didn't get to go. Cut me some switches at noon- was going to whip Reginald (he was a teenager in her class who was bigger than she was). Talked to him after school but did not whip him. Prof. Foster came in awhile. Miss Ola, Kate and I talked awhile. Aunt Carrie and Uncle Donald went to Richardson's to card party. Mr. Shouse and Mr. Turner came down. We played whist. (see http://www.pagat.com/whist/whist.html for more info about the card game). 2 and 2. Cousin Newlin and Mr. Peeler came as well.
| Letter from a mother of one of Trixie's students. It was thanking her for her interest in him. |
Saturday, January 16
I ironed all morn and made out my report. Tried to take a nap, Went riding with Uncle D. I was in drug store and he left me! Mr. Shouse called me up. After supper, I wrote in my diary while waiting for Mr. Minteer to come. We were going out to Sara's.
| First page of the journal |

In what city was the train depot photo? I've been looking for an Avant depot photo but have not come across one yet. My name is Jerry Patrick, I'm the administrator for the Barnsdall Oklahoma History Page on Facebook and I have an Avant section for it's history also included. I've been looking for old Avant photos and information on the city and it's businesses and people. Do you have photos of Avant or it's people you could scan and send to jerry_d_patrick@hotmail.com
ReplyDelete