 |
| The always beautiful Annie Jones, aka "Mama Jones". |
 |
| The infamous recipe box. |
 |
| Side view. |
 |
| Her house in Avant, Oklahoma. My Mom and Grandmother both said she had small storage areas on each side of the porch where she stored her mementos. My Mom said if you pulled into her drive and she was in the storage, she would come hiking out. She could be rather private. I wish the house was still standing. Sadly, it was torn down. |
The following are recipes we found in Mama Jones' Recipe Box. I had a fit when we found it in some old boxes. I have the box in my kitchen sitting on the counter.
 |
| Okmulgee- has to be Aunt Gerry! |
 |
| Divinity! I have tried to make it in the past with only one success. My Mimi (Mildred) always said the weather had to be just right for it to turn out. Maybe I will try this recipe... |
 |
| Marshmallow fudge! I haven't met a Jones- Gideon family member who didn't like their chocolate (including myself) |
 |
| More fudge. Trixie's diaries talk of making fudge quite a bit. |
 |
| Aunt Lucile. Mrs. Bracken was Mama Jones' neighbor. Her daughter was Mildred Patillo from Skiatook, Oklahoma. |
 |
| I remember my Mimi (Mildred) making divinity when I was a child. Wonder if this was the recipe she used? Notice the writing on the side in blue. |
 |
| Aunt Gerry! I just love that we have all of these. |
 |
| Trixie's recipe- Sounds so good! |
 |
| Funny how things cycle. This was a popular recipe for "food day" about ten years ago when I worked in an office. In the Gideon family, this was Aunt Sis's specialty. |
 |
| Notice the bottom of the paper. Mrs. Shafer was Trixie's neighbor. The Gideon and Shafer children were all around the same age and grew up together. |
 |
| I made these last summer. They were really good! |
 |
| I made this last summer too. Really, really good! |
 |
| Another one I tried. I really liked this one. All of the Gideon girls were really good cooks. |
 |
| Sounds really good! |
 |
| I loved the few little extra things Mama Jones had in her recipe file. |
 |
Mimi's (Mildred's) Freshman class photo. Can you spot her? She is second row from top, third girl. More about Mil's class photos coming up in another entry. |
 |
| Aunt Marj's recipe |
 |
| Aunt Helen's recipe. I guess they had this cake at my Grandma's (Mimi) house. |
 |
| Aunt Pat's recipe. Sounds delicious! Maybe I will start making one recipe a week (I made a few last summer) and put a photo and review with it. |
 |
| A drawing! My Mimi always did little drawings and doodles. Must run in the family....... |
 |
A post card of Aunt Helen's that was in the recipe file. A recipe is written on back.
I will have to find out from Aunt Helen who Bernie was. |
 |
| Aunt Gerry's recipe. Yum! |
 |
| One from my much loved Mimi. |
 |
| Mama Jones' handwriting. I love her handwriting. I know I am weird but her handwriting just fits her photos perfectly. |
 |
| Another from Aunt Gerry. I want to try this one! |
 |
Aunt Joan's recipe. I think all of these are so great. I only got to be with her one time that I remember as she lived in Louisiana. She and Uncle Donnie came to visit the family in Oklahoma and I remember her being so sweet to me. I was probably only 7 at the time but I remember sitting on her lap.
I had broken my awesome Cindy Lauper inspired sunglasses (circa 1984).
I was so sad but I bet my mom was really glad they broke as I am sure they looked so nice on a 7 year-old girl.
She consoled me and then she showed me how to dry flowers.
I loved her British accent. Was I a weird child or is this just a random memory, you can draw your own conclusion. I would probably go with both. ha. |
 |
| Aunt Lucile's recipe. |
 |
I would know this handwriting anywhere! Do you know? Here's a hint- I used to call her Millie Lou for fun.
I bet you got it! |
 |
Love this! Uncle Jack- what a great man and what great service to our country. I bet about 99% of the guys my age couldn't have endured what he did in WWII. If you don't know a lot about Uncle Jack- find out!
He was quite a wonderful man. They just don't make them like they used to. |
 |
| Trixie's handwriting |
 |
| Favorite desserts of circus performers- wow! Peggy's surprise- very interesting!! |
 |
| I think this one sounds so good. I will be making it! Review coming soon.... |
 |
| I have made something like this before- minus the lard! |
 |
| The top says " Nov. Women's Day- 1954" |
 |
| Cough Syrup recipe. I bet a health food store sells the same syrup for about $50. Maybe not $50 but close to it. ha,ha |
 |
| This is my favorite! Trixie's cough syrup recipe. |
 |
| Love this one too. Someone make this for me! |
No comments:
Post a Comment