Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Mollie Riffe (1859-1883)- 52 Ancestors- Week 2

Mollie Riffe (1859-1883)



Mollie Riffe
Notice she has the same long fingers as Mama Jones had.  She was a beautiful girl.



Drawing by Mollie Riffe, 1883. I have it hanging in my house.  Another one of my favorite things.
It hung above my Jack's crib when he was an infant.
  
Mollie (Marie) Eliza Riffe was Mama Jones' older sister.  She was Trixie's Maternal Aunt. Mollie was born on Sept. 29, 1859 in Kentucky to Dr. JC Riffe and Eliza Jane Riffe (formerly of Kentucky as well).   Her given name was Marie.  We believe that Mama Jones (being quite a bit younger than Mollie) called her "Mollie" when she was a toddler; trying to say "Marie". So, the name "Mollie" stuck.
She joined the Christian Church at age 13. Since her Father was a doctor,  Mollie helped as a nurse until she married.  During a small pox outbreak, she nursed back to health many people in her community.  Many people died during the outbreak, including her and Mama Jones' younger brother, James or "Jimmie".

She married Charley Kinsey on November 27, 1882.  They made their home in Vernon, Texas. Tragically, she died on December 23, 1883 during the delivery of a baby girl (who did not survive as well). The baby was buried with her in Decatur, Texas.    Dr. JC Riffe and family were living in Audubon, Texas at the time when Mollie passed.  Mollie was a much-loved and wonderful lady. One (of several we found) obit from the Fort Worth paper described her as "having no one superior in moral and intellectual qualities which form the perfect woman."

Over one-hundred and thirty years later, there is another Mollie in the branches of the Riffe/Jones family tree. That branch is my little girl whom I named Mollie. When I named my Mollie, I didn't know the tragedy surrounding the passing of Mollie Riffe-Kinsey.  I had always been curious about her and loved her drawings.  My Mom, Mimi and I had wondered for years and talked about Mollie Riffe.  We never knew what happened to her. When my Mollie was about three- months- old, I  discovered "the rest of her story".  After many years of wondering, asking and searching; it seemed as if it just fell in my lap.  One day as my Mollie napped,  I searched her name online. I had tried that many times before with no success.  An obituary popped up on my search and it was hers.  Funny, how things happen........    
Another Mollie Riffe drawing- sorry for the glare. I didn't want to take it out of the frame for fear of damaging it. we have often wondered if this is a drawing of Mama Jones as a child.  It could be Bettie Riffe who was a sister to Mama Jones and Mollie and passed as a child.  As I explain this, I can't help but think "poor Mama Jones".
She had so much tragedy in her life but kept on going.  She was an extraordinary woman.   She lost all her siblings except a brother (Uncle John Riffe) and he had a sad story as well.  I will profile him soon.



Mollie and baby headstone.  My Mom , (my Mollie) and I went to Texas last spring to see it.
Mollie and baby Kinsey grave, Charley Kinsey grave.
 Behind those are Mollie and Mama Jones parents graves- Dr. JC and Eliza Jane Riffe

Bottom of Mollie's headstone.
Reads: "Not gone from memory, not gone from love
But gone to the Father's home above"

No comments:

Post a Comment