Friday, January 31, 2014

Vintage Recipes...Modern Twists Review #1- Tamale Pie

Recipes from Mama Jones' recipe box made new!

I made the tamale pie from Mama Jones' recipe box tonight but I changed a few things up.  Why, you ask.  Well, let me tell you.  I never usually follow a recipe as it is written.  Forgive me, it's a habit I picked up from my Mom and Mimi. 


The vintage Hot Tamale Pie Recipe



Drumroll..........The ingredients I used......


 Substitutions:
In Place of Cornmeal- Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix 
In place of a can of tomatoes- Ro Tel (mild version). If I were making this for just myself and the Mister, I would use regular Ro Tel.  Due to our three little Oklahoma Hills, I used the mild version.  Yes, I do love Woody Guthrie.  If you don't get the reference, either you are not from Oklahoma or you need to move out of Oklahoma.  Just joking, I can forgive this one time. 
I was out of onions so I used onion powder.  Before children, I would have ran to the store.  After having three kids in four years, I try to stay away from the store.  ha!

Additions:
Taco Seasoning- 1 packet
Can of corn
Mix the can of milk, two cups of water and the box of Jiffy in a large skillet.  Boil and thicken.  This will make a mush.   

My helper, Mollie

Pour enough of the mush mixture to line an oven safe casserole dish.  This was my Mimi's, isn't it lovely?  I love cooking with her "old" things.  Makes me feel so happy and I think the food tastes better.  Now, set this aside if you want the mushy texture in the dish.  If you prefer more of a "cornbread" type bottom, bake this about 5-10 minutes at 350.  I made it with the mushy texture and it was delicious!


Next, brown 1lb of hamburger.  I use ground chuck from Nobles Meat Market in Skiatook.  Now, if the Nobles read this maybe they will give me a free pound the next time I am in. ha!  Add half of the taco seasoning before the meat browns.  Add the remainder after it has browned.  Smells so delicious!!

Add the rotel on top.

Add a can of corn. Mix and combine. Pour the mixture on top of the corn meal in your casserole dish.
Add a thin layer of the cornbread mush on top.
Bake at 350 for 40 minutes or so...


The finished product.  Right out of the oven!

Here's the plate.. Wait, that's Mollie's plate!

Here's the actual plate.  This one is for the Mister.  Accompaniments are: salad and fresh green beans
The boys snapped the green beans for me.  I had to cage them to do it. ha. No, that is a keep little sister out of art projects, lego projects cage!  Yes, that's how we do it in the Hill household. 



The Reviews are in!!!!!!!

Jack loved it!   He cleaned his plate. Since we are making a vintage recipe, I told him guns were allowed at the table.  They would have been 100 years ago, right??   Please ignore my tacky pepper shaker in the background.  We have been though a few nice ones and I have decided to stick with cardboard ones for now.  

This one tasted, put his cape on and wanted to fly, far, far away.  I take that as a "thumbs down" from The Con Man.  Just a little nickname- hope it doesn't stick! ha

I loved it. Mollie liked it.  The mister loved it too.  I will make it again!  Stay tuned for the next recipe review.....

No comments:

Post a Comment