Saturday, April 12, 2014

December 1-10, 1911- Avant, OK

Avant, OK- 1911

Friday, December 1
Another beautiful day.  Not much biz tho.  Went to rink and skated awhile- collected some.  Ruth and Mary both came in today.  Ruth, Geo and Lucile tried to plan a trip to Lombard Pie Supper but didn't.  Papa went home about 5:30- sick stomach hurting him.  He and Mama retired early.  I stayed here.  Lucile and Stanley went to the show.  I wrote to Mary.  Geo came after me about 8.  Closed up pretty soon and went to show too- full house.  Old man Claridy sat right behind us.  Went by rink just a minute and then on home.  Beat Stan and Lucile home.  Got washing machine.
The handsome Geo (George) Gideon.

Saturday, December 2
Such a pretty day.  No trade at all.  Went down to see Ruth and she came back with me.  We bummed around. Buford joined.  Juanita and Mayo ran off down here.  She looked like a little beggar.  After supper, Dr. Beeler and Mary came in.  They, Lucile and Meryl and I watched free open air show.  Then they all went to the show.  Wanted me to but I stayed at the store.  Nobody in though.  Read and wrote in diary.  Went home by show to get Lucile.  Went to drug store and got soap and powder.
Juanita and I think that is Shelley.

Sunday, December 3
Pretty day.  Went to SS and church.  Ruth, Buford, Maudie, Carl, John Brocker and I sat together.  Geo and I drove till about 5:30.  Dandy time.  Got some pecans.  Could hardly find road.  Lucile, Myrl, Erma and Mrs. Kenny rode horse back.  Mrs. Davidson came about 7 for me to go over song with her.  Geo came about 7:30.  We went to church.  Dad and Lucile went too.  Most beautiful moonlight night.  Saw a black cat of course.  Preacher preached so long.  Kicked at a dog- disgusted everyone.  I played song for Mrs. D.  "Tell Mother I'll be There."  Stanley went to Ramona to meet Sutton.
Not sure about the names but thought it was an interesting photo.

Monday, December 4
Pretty day.  Got breakfast and washed dishes.  Came down about 9.  Came by Mrs. Ed Jones (not her brother, Ed) for a lady.  Got a letter from Ellery.  Geo phoned about 6 and wanted to go to the show.  Man from Davenport here- he and Dad on trade.  Lucile and I would hate to leave Avant.  I ate chicken at Gardner's.   Stanley came in and said Miller's wife was sick and Geo couldn't get off.  Disappointed.  Went to rink with Mary, Mrs. Morris and Hamrick.  In pm, Ocie Dunoway and I were over to rink and skated.  Cleaned up store real good.
School children

Tuesday, December 5
Another pretty day.  Mama still feels bad.  I got breakfast and washed dishes.  Came down after 9.  Not very busy.  Went to PO- 2 or 3 times.  Mama and Juanita were down- found Juanita in drug store twice.  Geo was in just before I went to dinner.  He said we should go to the show and we did of course.  Was going to tell Geo about letter but I didn't.

Wednesday, December 6
Juanita Jones.  Cute as always.
Nothing doing much- pretty day.  After dad and I cleaned up, went by drug store and looked at xmas goods.

Thursday, December 7
Mama feels really bad- isn't able to do anything.  I got breakfast and washed the dishes.  Go up early and get dinner and so on.  Geo walked part way with me as I was going to supper and made a date for the show.  After the show, we came by the rink and had a lot of fun.  One fellow was learning and could hardly get Geo to come home.  He had started to leave and I asked him if he didn't want to hear the secret I had to tell him.  So we had quite a chat at the gate and I told him about the letter.  Dad stuck his head out of the door and we skidadled.  Ha! Ha! Lucile gave it all away.  Wrote to Ellery.
Some of the Jones plus Aunt Lulu

Friday, December 8
Same old story got breakfast, rushed around to come to town.  Back and got dinner, etc..  Geo called me up about noon.  ASked what was said. Ha!   Went to rink and skated awhile.  Had just retured when Geo came over.  I was standing in the back door.  He looked kind of shy at dad.
Went to church with Mrs. Snider.  Got awful sleepy.  None of the rest had made it home.  I felt bad- Mama sick and Dad.  I went to Jess Jones and phoned Lucile and Dad but they weren't home.

Saturday, December 9
Raining.  Didn't come down until after 10.  Went to depot with Lucile.  She went to Pawhuska to get basketball suits.  Very muddy.  Ate chili at Gardners.  Geo was in a few minutes at noon. Dad had to go to 75.  Pouring down rain.  I was so lonesome and blue.  Sutton came in about 3 and satyed a long time.  It simply poured for about 2 hours.  We went to drug store.  Geo made date for the show.  Sutton and I waded mud and water to PO.  Lucile came back from Pawhuska.  We ate chili at Gardners.  Papa went out to stay with Mama.  She has been alone all day.  She feels awfully bad.  Geo came about 8 and we went to the show.  Real good.  Sure was muddy going home. I had on boots but he didn't.

Sunday, Decmeber 10
Sun shining so bright and pretty.  The mud is drying up.  Went to SS and church.  Byron took note to town for me.  Geo came out about 4.  Almost gave him out.  We had started for a walk but Dad drove up so we got in and went for a little drive.  We came back at 7:30 and went to church.  I had to play.  Stanley sat by us.  He took it.

No comments:

Post a Comment