Tuesday, April 1, 2014

October 21-31, 1911- Avant, Oklahoma

1911 Avant, Oklahoma

Saturday, October 21
Mama came to store.  I cleaned up.  Lucile and I ironed.  Got a woman to iron some.  Went to town about 3:30 to rink awhile.  Geo. went to Ramona today.  I was standing in back door, he was at rink and came over awhile.  Turned awful cold.  Icel Ewing spent the night with Lucile.  When we came back after supper, went in drug store for some soap.  Geo asked us if we were going to the rink.  I had to stay here till about 9:30.  Didn't see him at all.  Big crowd at rink when we came by.  Was so cold we didn't stay long.  Ran nearly all the way home.  Wrote to Ellery.

I think this is a post card from Ellery.

Sunday, October 22
Beautiful day.  Went to SS and then Juanita and I went to town.  Stanley and I planned a Kodaking party.  Curly was in at Hare's.  I asked him to go.  Edgar wouldn't call him out for me.  Geo came out about 2.  Mama took some pictures for us.  Then we, Curly, Lucile, Stan and Miss Sutton went nearly to Oil City- took some pictures.  Geo and I got ahead of the kids and got home first.  Tired- Oh! My!- I had on new shoes.  Curly and Geo came and we went to church.  Lucile was so mad when she came in.  He grabbed her and tried to kiss her.
Kodaking picture from that day.  Stanley and Lucile with Juanita.

Monday, October 23
Beautiful day.  Very good trade.  Geo was in about 4.  Started to Ramona- hunting someone to go with him.  I went by for Stanley at noon.  We took some pictures.  Wilda Meyers was in all afternoon.  We went to train.  Quite cool in evening.  Papa and I went by rink awhile.
Stanley and the family dog, Joe.  

Tuesday, October 24
Very windy and dusty!! All day.  Not very busy.  Sat around here all day.  Lonesome.  Finished my book, "Black Rock".  Went over and skated a little while in p.m.  Had skated and put up and Dad had to go home so he came after me.  Juanita came down with me after supper.  Came by Miss Suttons and borrowed two books- "Truxton King" and "The Shuttle".
Truxton King   
The Shuttle
Geo was in front of the drug store.  Walked in as far as the corner and asked me to go to the show.  Curly and Hare were in.  Geo and I went to the show and then over to the rink.  He didn't skate.  Laughed at him on the way home- he chased like a black cat.
Black Cat decoration of Trixie's.

Wednesday, October 25
Such a pretty day.  Mama washing- I helped some before I came down.  Curly, Hare and Geo were in during the a.m.  I got kodak pictures.  Went to P.O.  I went up home about 3:30.  Polished stove and got supper.  Byron took me up to Miss Suttons to show her the pictures.  We went by home about 8:20.  Went by the rink just a minute.  Had to attend to my bread real late.
Avant Kodaking.  Geo in back

Thursday, October 26
Another pretty day.  Came to store about 9.  Curly was in several times.  Mailed kodaks off.  Went by for Stanley at 11:30.  Was sitting here writing after I came back and in came Juanita at back door.  She had run off.  She had on a little pink dress with a white hood.  Dessie, Lucile and I went to the rink and stayed a long time.  Geo was there but he stayed at the back.  I didn't skate.
Juanita Jones.  What a cute little girl.

Friday, October 27
Real cold.  Went for 11 'o clock mail.  Waited a long time for it to be put up.  Geo came in.  Was surprised and walked over with him.  Got a letter from Ellery.  Papa had a call.  Came home and got supper.  It was nearly dark when I started home.  Geo caught up with me and walked part way.  He asked me if I wanted to go to the show.  He came out about 8.  It was so cold.  We went to the picture show.  Juanita went with us.  We then went to "Dog and Pony Show" in a tent.  Tacky was one name.  Had lots of fun.   Got pretty cold.  Geo carried Juanita home.   Black cat appeared again.Bummed with Wilda to Davidson's.
The stunningly beautiful Trixie, handsome George and cute little Juanita.  Juanita and Geo always had a closeness.  Geo loved babies and toddlers.  I know I have said this before but I just think Trixie was so beautiful.   

Monday, October 28
Quite busy today.  Not so cold.  Wilda, Miss Sutton and I went to the rink.  Didn't have skates on very long until Dad sent for me.  Got really busy.  Curly was in and took Lucile to the rink.  I stayed here and read.  Geo came down for awhile.  Went up the street with Mrs. Kinnison.  Stopped in at old man Tower's.  She and Claridy treated.  Rained a little.  We went by the rink and got the kids.  Lucile and Curly had a fuss and she came home with us.
I love this photo.  Trixie, Stanley and Lucile. 

Tuesday, October 29
Cool, cloudy and misty.  We hiked out in new dresses and hats.  Went back and put on caps.  Wore my new gloves.  Tom Mattingly here for dinner.  Began to rain about 12:30.  Decided for Mama to go to Wichita with Dad.  So we flew around and got them off to the train.  I washed dishes and cleaned up good.  Looked for Geo but he didn't come.  I got Juanita to sleep and then read and played.  Sure lonesome.  Very dark and raining slowly after supper.  I played a long time.  The kids wrestled and boxed.
Avant Train Schedule

Wednesday, October 30
Woke at 6.  Got breakfast and came down about 7:45,  Juanita, Joe and I were here all day.   They would both run off once and awhile.  Geo was in twice.  Pretty busy in p.m.  Closed up about 8:30.  George came by for me.  We went to rink awhile.  Stanley walked Miss Sutton home.

Thursday, October 31
Cooler but a very pretty day.   Not much biz at all.  Today Geo was in during the a.m.  Juanita does fine.  Goes up to see him and Hare.    Left Byron here about 5 and went up to supper and dressed.  I arranged with Mrs. Cunningham to watch Juanita but here came Byron with her.  I told him he had to take care of her.  He was not to excited.  Finally I told him to tell her a story and she went to sleep.  Geo didn't come until nearly 9.  Almost gave up on him.   I helped Byron and Stanley make masks for the skating rink.  I was here a long time alone.  I took Juanita to Cunningham;s.  Geo carried her for me.  Then we came back to the rink.  Some good costumes.  Myrl got first prize.  Went to dance hall- nothing doing.  Came by old Marc Towers and got some chili.  It was no good.  Saw black cat again on way home.  Juanita and I ate dinner at the oil exchange.  Tom Mattingly kept the store.

No comments:

Post a Comment