| George Washington Jones - Papa Jones' Father |
| The ever-handsome George Washington Jones |
In 1857, at the age of twenty-one, he married Helena Mar Hill in Douglas, Texas. They had eight children which consisted of seven sons and one daughter: Jefferson Young, Dr. Edgar Augustus, Dr. John Paul, Alexander Donnell, Jesse Paine, Isaac Modrall, Mary Helena, and Herschel Porter.
Info about Douglas, Texas
After marriage, they settled into an East Texas farm in Nacogdoches County. In addition to being a farmer, he served in the Confederate Army during the Civil War. Sadly, the war cost him his right arm and the life of his brother, Jesse Jones.
McLennan County, Texas
Jesse Jones' grave- santa fe, new mexico
Later in life George moved to Audubon, Texas where his newlywed son Dr. EA Jones resided. The remainder of his life was spent in Audubon. George Jones died January 7, 1883. He was buried in Pella Cemetery. Pella was a community outside Audubon which no longer exists. The cemetery now is part of a ranch.
My Mom, Mollie and I visited the cemetery last spring. We searched and searched going down many country roads. We were just about to give up when we pulled into the Warren Ranch. (In case you are wanting to buy cattle here's the link. ha warren ranch cattle ) We weren't quite sure what we should do as it was growing late in the day. We pulled up to a large Texas-style ranch house. Besides the large house, a foreman's house was in the background. To be honest, we weren't sure if we should stay or leave. Then, we saw an iron cutout of a cowboy kneeling at a cross. After seeing that, we decided they wouldn't shoot (or at least, maybe they would ask us who we were before they did- ha). I told my mom, "we came all this way and I am going to just ask if they have any idea where the cemetery might be." I stepped up the steps to the front porch. I was a bit nervous and not quite sure what to say. I knocked on the door and no answer. I then had a burst of courage and decided to go to the back house and knocked again. A very nice lady(with several barking dogs and a few children) answered and looked puzzled as to why I would be knocking on her door. I explained what I was wanting and she was so sweet and kind. She told me (in a beautiful Texas drawl) the Pella Cemetery was on their ranch! She said her husband and father-in-law own the ranch and it would be fine to go check the cemetery out. I thanked her and we proceeded. After you see the pics you will understand why we thought the cemetery was so beautiful. Peaceful, quiet, cattle grazing and ponds- My Mom and I were both in awe of the beauty. I know many would think, "a cemetery being beautiful, how weird!" but if you saw it in person you would understand or maybe it's just the Bowman in us. Who knows?
![]() |
| Marker outside Pella Cemetery |
![]() |
| Side view of the cemetery |
![]() |
| That tree is beautiful!! |
![]() |
| George Washington Jones' grave. We left the flowers. |
![]() |
| Inscription on lower half: "As a husband devoted, as a father affectionate, as a friend no truer kind" |






Good read but you didnt mention that he was a freemason. Any Jones near Bedford Va.?
ReplyDelete