At Jewel's
Thursday, April 30
Mangum, Oklahoma
I washed a waist and finished my black one. Jewel turned the hem of my voile shirt. Lynne came over and we all went by for for Mary. Got Cybil and all played tennis. Mr. Rand all started out there at seven but Lynne was in such a rush that we left. We, I mean Jewel and I stayed with Lynne. We three girls had planned to go to teachers entertainment and to show. Mary phoned and made a date for Louis Friday night and said he wanted to come out here too so I said alright and we were going to have Randall and someone else come up for Jewel and Lynne but as it happened we could not get them by telephone. Pretty soon Mary phoned and said Louis couldn't come. I didn't know what to think. I was a little mad. We three went on to show. Mary couldn't go. Herbert came and sat by us. Jewel asked him about our Sunday trip we were planning to go to Fish Creek. He didn't think he could go. I bet her 15 cents that he wouldn't go.
Photos of Fish Creek- Click
Friday, May 1
We came thru town. Got me some hose. Got a letter from Mamma. Byron and Lucile came by Aunt Edna's. I went on home with Jewel and we went by the school house. Saw Louis. Fixed up my skirt. I went over to Mary's. Cybil came and we went to the school house. Lynne came by and drove us to town (horse and buggy). I got Mamma and Lucile a bonnet. Louis walked down the street with us. (We got out of the buggy). I asked if he still intended to come out and he said if it was with me. He, Randall, Jewel, Cybil, Lynne and I played tennis again. Mr. Batten and Louis came out. We went to the shows. Didn't talk to Herb. Stayed at Aunt Edna's. Remember what a time Louis and I had talking. He sure is a odd boy.
| Juanita and Lucile |
Saturday, May 2
Went by Jewels and went to school house with me (teachers meeting). We went to town. She asked "kiddie" for a dime. We bought some popcorn. Went by the photographers- he gave me a picture of Jewel. We went back to school house. Stayed until about 10. We went back to town and got some peanuts. Went by Mrs. Rudes. Hubert came by and called me. He took us home. He asked about our trip Sun. Said he could go. Mary, Jewel, Lynne and I met in town. I had my picture taken. That old freak said he knew someone who thot that both sides look pretty. Tickled me. Mrs. Winburne wouldn't let Jewel go to Fish Creek so we decided to go to Granite. Saw Herb. He said it was alright with him and he would bring me out here Monday morning. I got Velma a belt and pattern. Got some lace and ribbon's for the baby's (Juanita) cape. Mary drove me down town to return some hats for Aunt Edna. Mary, Rufus Holt (I met him this eve- he sure is a swell looking kid), Lynne, Mr. Bonner, Randall, and Prof. Counts came out. We all sat in the swing and sang. I thot they would never leave.
Sunday, May 3
Wore black silk waist to s.s. Went with Jewel. Started to Christian Church. Louis went with me. Mary intended to but she said there wasn't any seats. Herbert was there. Jewel came by for me. Herbert walked with us. He and Randall came out about 2. We went to Granite. Saw Nina. Sure was a crowd from Mangum there. We sat around there awhile. Herbert &I, Randall & Jewell climbed the mountains a little ways. Herbert and I certainly did have some fun. Jewel and Randall would be mad if they knew what we were joking about. Remember when he stretched his neck up and looked all around like______ ha! ha! They moved and we did too. We had a hard time beating them but we finally did (Let's don't doubt" ha. If I could only believe it. I sure do like somebody. ha. We went to town and had lots of fun at supper. Hubert sure is jolly. Jewel fixed his butter with catsup & coffee with sugar. Train was crowded. We walked up from the depot. "Let's walk this way," but did I. He said I was afraid of him and wouldn't trust him. ha! ha! An awful rainstorm came up just after we got home to (Jewels).
Monday, May 4
Herbert was out here by 6. Ate breakfast with us- Roads were muddy. We left town at 6:25 and got out here at 7:40. Enjoyed the drive very much. Herbert sure is cute. Looked dandy this morning. Got along fine. Got a letter from Louis, Leah and a card from Etta and Aunt Lulu.
At school wrote to Mary, Mama, Byron and Louis and card to Lynne. Sewed some on Mama's bonnet- sure was tired and sleepy.
| Trixie Jones, Teacher- Flat Rock Schools |
Tues. May 5
Wrote to Jewel. Sure was cold and windy. Wrote in diary after school for over a week back. Certainly was glad when I go thru.
| Leather postcard from 1908 |
Wed. May 6
Still cool, finished the bonnet and Lucile's waist. Went to prayer meeting.
| Lucile- a little younger than 1908. |
Thursday, May 7
Warm and sunshiney. Had about 40 pupils. Got along fine. I washed about 3 doz. pieces. Rode old "Tom Thumb" up to Mrs. Woody's. He got scared at a sign on the corner and bucked. I fell off, but it didn't hurt me. He stopped as soon as I fell.
I got a card from Alberta. Talked to Jewel and Mary. Jewel said she was coming after us tomorrow eve. I came home and ironed my clothes. Took a bath and retired late.
Friday, May 8
Got up at seven. Cleaned up room before breakfast. Lynne and Nellie came after me. I stayed with Lynne. She, Mr. Bonner, Louis and myself went over to Jewels. Started to morning picture show too late. rain coming. My but I have a good time trying to talk to Louis. He and Kestler were having trouble as he was so mad tonight.
Sat. May 9
Helped Lynne clean up. She and I drove to town. Was trying to get me a new trunk. Made a cake and helped iron. After dinner we went. I shopped all day. Got some emb. slippers and looked at trunks and suit cases. Sure was tired. Lynne lost her mother's coat & we went to hunt it but the coat was lost. Mrs. W was awful mad. We had an awful time. I went to meet Jewel and she came to Lynne's. We were all going to church and then to the show. Lynne couldn't go to church so she, Mary, Jewel, and I went to show. Saw Herbert. I bot some hose and a belt. Stayed at Mary's.
Sun. May 10
Went to Christian Church. Jewel, Lynne, Nellie and Mary came. Saw Herb. He said he would bring me out here Mon. Morn. SO I STAYED. Jewel, Lynne, Mary went to restaurant for dinner. Lynne had the SS money. We were all going to borrow from her but Morgan McCarver paid for our dinner. All went to Lynne's. Dear- put on my black outfit. Went out to Jewels and got Weathersby's carriage and drove to Mrs. Walling- 4 miles west. The wind was blowing a gale. (definition of a gale ) We sang and had lots of fun. She gave us cake, pie, meat, bread, butter, pickles and lots of good things to eat. We got back to town late. I sure did feel bad. The kids called me "Gravy" all day. Herbert, Bonner and Randall came up. We were going to church but Bonner and Randall came too late so Herb and I didn't go either. He was on a tare. We laughed at him so much. He tickles me to death talking about "spanking". Remember how much fun we had about the suitcase. He had to carry it over to Jewels. Remember our talk under the tree. Herbert sure is a good old friend to me. Another rain and wind storm. I sure was tired and sleepy.
| Sayre/Mangum Kodaking |
Mon. May 11
Herbert came for me about 6. Again we ate breakfast and left about 20 till 7. Roads were not very muddy. We got here about 20 till 8.Had a fine drive. Got a card from Gussie. Felt bad all day. Retired as soon as I ate supper. Started baby's cap after school.
| Cousin Newlin (way before 1908) |
Tuesday, May 12
About noon it got dark and gloomy. An awful rain storm ensued but by 3:30 it was gone. After school, I wrote to Lee and Uncle Jessie and wrote in diary. I also wrote to Mama.
| The school in Sayre |
Wed. May 13
Didn't go to prayer meeting but washed dishes for Ella and she went. Bessie and I went to mail box on snowball. Got a letter from Mama, Dick, Louis and card from Lee.
| Letter from Trixie's friend from OU- Dick Booker. |
Thursday, May 14
Worked on Lucile's bonnet after school. Wrote to Louis before school. Mr. F. brought my trunk out from town. Got card from Lynne.
| Lucile and the Sayre Basketball Team. Lucile in first on bottom row with big bow in her hair (of course!) |
Friday, May 15
Mr. Thompson put me up to turning school out at noon and going fishing so I did. Herbert, Ella, "Boog", Willie, Bob, Clyde and I went. I caught ONE! We had a real good time. Mrs. King, Ella and Ellen and I came by Mrs. Hatley's. It was late when we got home. I got Mary's graduation invitation.
Sat. May 16
Went to town with Mr. T. ate dinner at Aunt Edna's (Aunt Edna was married to Papa Jones' brother Herschel P. Jones). Went over to Lynne's. We went to the train with her mother. Drove to Jewels. I traded a good deal. Velma was with me. It began to rain. We went into the bakery to wait. Herbert came in there. Grace Mabrey let me have her parasol. We ran nearly all the way home/ Sure was tired. It looked awfully stormy. Aunt E. was scared to death and wanted to go to the cellar but I was sleepy and went to bed and thot nothing of the storm.
Sun. May 17
Bright and sunshiney. Met Jewel on my way to SS also Herbert. He said her would bring me out Mon. morning. Was sick at Sun. School. Went home with Jewel for dinner. Came by Mary's and Mrs. Maybrey's and returned their parasols. Went to Lynne's. She, Jewel, Mr.& Mrs. Newton, Mr. Bonner, Uncle Buddie, and I all went to Granite. Mr. McGee butted in and went with Jewel. My! But Uncle B makes me tired - Mr. M and J certainly were on a tare. we had some Kodaks taken. Talked to Morgan McKarver- he's the cutest kid in Mangum. Stayed with Jewel.
| Kodaking |
Mon. May 18
Herbert came about 6. We went to town and by Aunt Edna's. Got a telegram form Shelley to come to Okla. City 22nd. Herbert looked so cute. We got out her at W.F. about 7:45. Herbert said to let him know about going to Okla City. and he would come or send for me that Thurs evening. Bessie and I went over to Mrs. Gautt's to take my dress/ Came back and went to Mr. Lassiters to see if I could get off Thurs. He said it perfectly alright with him. I wrote cards to Herbert, Louis, Dick, Gussie, Aunt Lulu, Shelley, Maybelle. Packed some. Got card from Jen.
| Oklahoma City- Court house- notice the writing on the side- Leah is teasing Trixie about Coot. |
Tues. May 19
Packed my trunk before I went to school. After school, I washed and ironed and made out some exam questions. I sure was tired. (at Sayre writing this)
Wed. May 20
Graded some papers after school. Ella and I went to prayer meeting. Took bath. I ironed some, Boog. George and I went after the mail. Got card from Lynne, Mr. Bonner, Aunt Lulu and Leah.
Thurs. May 21
Last day of school. Was glad and sorry. Had a little program- several parents were there. Kids did OK. Claud Jenkins got mad and jumped on to Lake Herman and Oliver. I was so worried. Started to town and met Louis at mailbox so I got in with him. We had a little fun coming in- he is peculiar. He tied my trunk. He did around for me. Saw Mary and Lynne in town. Saw Herbert as I was going home. He wanted to come to the show. Had a date with Louis to go to commencement. Velma, Verner and I went to show- shaw firex. Saw Herbert. Louis and I were late. Saw Jewel, Randall, Lynne, Mr. Bonner. Louis and I went into ice cream parlor. Lynne turned over a glass of water on me! Stayed at Aunt edna's.
| Kodaking fun! |
Fri. May 22
Left for Okla City at 6:25. Saw Maybelle and Lou as I came through Anadarko. Guss., Aunt Lulu, Uncle John met me. Shelley's train wrecked. Bummed all over town- got a new suitcase. Looked like rain. Shelley came later. We didn't go to field meeting. Bought a suit. All went up to Gussie's boarding place. We went to see Bertie. Saw her at Kressers. Rained. We took and auto and went home. (first mention of cars). Had fun about my "rat".
| Shelley Jones |
Sat May 23
Went to train with Gussie. Saw Newlin, Stanley and L.D. Decided to go to Stillwater with Shelley. We got to Guthrie about 11. Pouring down rain. S. phoned to Sal about one. We started to Mrs. Meyers. Met Sal and began to rain. Shelley and I both fell down. We all three were soaking wet. Felt a little odd when I saw Sal but was glad to see him. We started back to the train at five. No train out so they put me in a cab.(Horse and buggy) I came back to Mrs. M. Talked to Sal awhile. I still love him. I know. ha!
Sun. May 24
Shelley and I got up at four. Sat there until 8. No trains again on account of washouts. I took a nap. Morris, Lonnie and I went to see the river. Came back and went to sleep. Sal started to pour some water on me. I had poured some water on him before dinner. Eunice, Morris, Louie and I started to the shows. Went to one. Met Sal and Shelley. Went to train- started to go but decided not to- all went to the house. Shelley read. We talked awhile and retired. Shelley was awfully worried about his exams.
| The handsome Shelley Jones |
Mon. May 25
Shelley phoned for me to come that there was a train out about 11. I went and decided not to go after I was on the train (Shelley went on to Stillwater). I decided I had better come back home. S. had to drive us from Perry. Went back to Mrs. Meyers. Took a nap. After dinner, she and I went to town. After supper, I intended to go to Senate with Mr. & Mrs. M. but didn't. The kids and I went walking. Sat on walk and sang. I talked to Sal. Remember what he said about writing to me. I hardly know whether to believe it or not. Remember how we parted. Same as a year ago.
| Shelley playing his trumpet |
Tues. May 26
Never talked to Sal. Left at 10:20 for train. Mr. Ross Lillard came to train and we had lunch. He begged me to promise him I would stay in Okla. City but I wouldn't. He came down at 5 but I was gone. Left Guthrie about 1 got to city and waited until about 6 o'clock. Lucile McKinney, Earnest, Mr. and I had lots of fun. (talked to mr. batten) We had all kinds of things to eat. Lucile and I were tired. We slept some. Never got here until 4.
| Trix and Lucile |
Wed. May 27
Never went to sleep. The kids got up and we chased around here. Oh! That baby is so sweet (Juanita). Took a nap before noon. Leah came down. I went to town. Mrs. Bonen's baby died. Mamma went up there. I kept our baby, went to Leah's, M and Lucile went to the funeral.
| Sweet little Juanita and her mother, Annie (Mama) Jones. Mama Jones photos always remind me of my Grandma, Mimi. |
Thurs. May 28
I took the baby down and had her picture made. Aunt Carrie and we ate dinner at the Hedgepeth. Stayed down at her house a long time. She and I went up to her office- saw Frank. Met Sara and Leah. We bummed. Leah came by and we all went to the commencement exercises. L.D. and Oral came in here a few minutes after we got home. Got Kodak's from Uncle Buddie.
Fri. May 29
After dinner, we visited the school and then we went to town. Sara, Leah and I bummed again. Got cards from Nora and Olivia Lassiter & letter from "Uncle Buddie". Ima had a party. Sara., Leah and I were there. Coot, Mr. Young and Tom brot me home. We all took Bee home and went to ice cream parlor- had lots of fun.
Sat May 30
I made Lucile a butterfly waist, me one and a corset cover. Washed my head and was drying it when Leah came over. So did Ima, Oral and Bee. After supper, went to town. Up to Leah's. There she, Papa and I went after Lucile and went to skating rink. Came home and finished my letter to herbert and wrote in this diary.
| The ever-dashing Papa Jones and boys (Ed not pictured). Love those hats! |
Sun May 31
Looked rainy. Went to SS and Church. Came by for Mabre Bennett. Then we went to the Methodist Church. Mama and Papa went to country. Wrote to Louis. Tried to take a nap. Newlin, LD, Uncle Stanley, Uncle D and Ervin came in. Went by Brockman's. Then up to Leah's. She, Stanley, R.D. and I went walking. Coot came home with us and stayed awhile. Mama and Papa got wet. Got a letter for Louis.
| Newlin as a child. Yes, he was a boy but I don't think this scarred him for life. Ha. He grew up, got married and was a successful attorney. He was Trixie's first cousin. |
Mon. June 1
Lucile and I went to Normal at 7:30. After dinner I made a butterfly waist for Ima and studied some. Leah, Lucile, Miss Ramsey, Orval, Ima and I went to a M.P. show (moving picture) (bessie)
Tues. June 2
After dinner, I went over to Nina Ballards and studied. An awful storm came up. Mrs. B made us go to the storm house. I ate supper over there.
Wed. June 3
Right after dinner, I studied then Ima, Orval, Lucile, Bee and I went to skating rink. Leah and Sara Came by there. bum crowd. I didn't skate. Leah came down after supper. Aunt Carrie and Newlin came in too.
| Aunt Carrie |
Thurs. June 4
I fixed brown skirt right after dinner. Then studied. Took the baby and walked up to Leah's. She came home with me.I studied a long time and wrote to Jewel, Mary, and Lynne. Got card from Lynne.
| 1908 Post Card- Windsor, MO. It was from Cara. |
Friday, June 5
Studied some and took a nap. Another storm came up- it hailed. After supper, I studied. Shelley came home. We talked awhile. I wrote to Mr. and Mrs. Thompson. Got card from Mary.
Saturday, June 6
Cleaned up house. Ironed, took bath. Leah, Lucile, Aunt Carrie, Newlin and I went to Kennedy's show. Stayed for Bronco Riding. (Fake- did you say) rained several showers but we didn't get wet. Wrote in diary for a week back.
Sunday, June 7
Went to SS and taught a class. Went out to Sara's. Stanley went back after Leah. We didn't stay. Mr. Gilliam came. Leah and I drove. I went up there. We went walking- met Tom and Mr. Young. Went to ice cream parlor and went to church with Tom.
| Stanley Jones |
Monday, June 8
Went to Normal as usual. Was awfully sleepy. Slept till 3. An awful storm came up.
Tues June 9
At noon, drove to town with papa. Mailed letter to Prof. Taylor. Very hot- went driving with Eula M.
| The Jones Family. I think this is a few years later- Juanita is a little older in the photo than in this diary. |
Wed. June 10
Nothing new to write. Hate to study- it's so hot. Leah and I wanted to go to town to see the parade but they didn't have it. We went to town coming back. We talked to Cabbiness. He wanted to take us to "Mollie Baliey" so we went!!!! HAD A VERY GOOD TIME!
Mollie Bailey- click for more info
Thursday, June 11
Same old story- to normal early. Hot! Studied. Leah came down and we went walking.
Friday, June 12
After dinner- Sara, Leah and I started to ball game. Went to skating rink and skated. All three were leaving there to go to ballgame- Erick V. Sayre, Sayre beat. After supper, Leah, Irma, Orval, Mrs. Brockman, Nina Belle, and I went skating. Met Mr. Trimbler. We had lots of fun skating. Lucile stayed with Olive.
| Lucile and her friends kodaking |
Saturday, June 13
Cleaned up house. Ironed,sewed Lucile's underskirts. Took bath. Went to town late. After supper, Papa , Lucile and I went skating Leah, Lara, and Olive were there. Everyone in town nearly was there. Earnest and I caught a hard fall.
Sunday, June 14
Got up at 6:30. Studied awhile. Went to SS and came home. Aunt Carrie and Harry Thomas came here, so we went to church after dinner. Mrs. Brockman and all of us went Kodaking. Aunt Carrie and I drove (horse and buggy) to river. Came by ice cream parlor. Leah and I went walking and drove with Ervin.
Monday, June 15
Rushed off to Normal as usual, phoned to Leah. She and Sara went to skating rink. Went to a party at Livingstons with John Hullum. He Frank, Miss Bazzet and I went in the cab. Coot, Leah and Sara and Gillium were there. An awful rain came up, Coot when after the cab in the rain. When we left it was just pouring down rain. about 2:30. There was a hail storm came up. Broke out windows and went thru some houses. Stanley, Carl and L.D. were here. Stanley was scared to death. Had to go to school in afternoon.
Tuesday. June 16
Leah and I drove around after dinner and saw the damage. The hail had broken almost every light in town.
| More kodaking! A little faded but still worth a look! |
Wed. June 17
After supper, Papa and Mama and all of us went to Harry's show. Was real good.
Thurs. June 18
After dinner, Leah came by. After supper, we walked around then decided to go to show. Went and got Cark and Ervin to go with us. Big bows! We had a lot of fun.
Friday, June 19
Normal school, study, hot and sleepy! Shelley wrote me a letter from Hobart. Sure was glad to hear from him. Also, cards from Ella, Bessie and Mrs. Thompson. Leah came down.
Sat. June 20
Clean up, iron. had to go to Normal to make up studies. Leah came by for me to go to town but I didn't get through. Took a nap. After supper, Leah, lucile and Orvie Wells (she shouted and asked me to go) went to rink for about 25 minutes. Saw Mr. Lumber. Got a card from Edith.
Sun. June 21
Went to SS. Sara came, met Miss Bell, Saw Miss Roe. We had lots of fun laughing at Nina Belle- she's a case. After dinner, I called on Miss Roe. Started to a little "to do" with Louis. Leah and Sara came by and we drove. Had lots of fun about Coot and John. They were driving too.
Monday, June 22
Rushed off to normal school. There was a show in town- papa and I drove awhile. Mrs. Repass ate dinner with me and we studied.
So what exactly is a normal school? Click to find out!
Tuesday, June 23
Same old story- worrying about exams. After supper, Shelley and I went after Leah. She and I drove. Remember what we heard (Miss Muse and Cook) say about Leah. We got Mama and drove. Took L home then she and I went by Aunt Carrie's. Mosquitos like to have eaten me up.
| Newlin and Aunt Carrie |
Wed. June 24
Mrs. Repass came home with me and studied. It sure was hot. I thought I would die at noon. Rained while we were at home in afternoon and turned cooler. After supper, I went after Leah. Went to Lora's. Mrs. Brockman and I went to Aunt Carrie's. Harry was over here but they were gone, reviewed some for exam. Mrs. Kirby was here. Lucile and I played and sang. Got a nice long letter from Mary.
Thurs. June 25
Exams were fierce. First one, Orthography, was easy- tho. After supper, Leah came down. I studied some.
Friday, June 26
Exams certainly were hard all day. Oh! how relieved I felt when I finished the last one. Miss Repass came by. After supper, Leah and I went to depot. They were looking for Morris, Loie, earnie and Sal. They didn't come.
Saturday, June 27
Shelley and Carl went to Amarillo. Lucile and I ironed. Leah came by for me to go to town but I didn't go.
Sunday, June 28
Went to SS. Cara, Elfrieda and I went to Methodist Church but they didn't have a service. They came up after dinner. Mama went to Mrs. Russells. We drove up and got Leah- went to ice cream parlor. Tom and guy and us went Kodaking. Had an awful time getting in position. I never went to church.
Monday, June 29
went to town before dinner. Got letters from Louis and Jessie. Sewed some after dinner. Went to Cara's. Started back to to town with Leah came back and slept. Then met Sal. Got my certificate. Saw Prof. Foster and he said they were going to employ me this winter. Leah and I went to rink with Tom.
Tuesday, June 30
Made me a tea jacket and waist. Went up to Leah's. After supper, we went to the rink. Went by for Cara.
| Cara Howard |
Wed. July 1
Nothing unusual happened.
Thursday, July 2
Made Lucile a dress. Leah was down. Got a note from Earl Minteer. Had a time answering it. Went to Mrs. Bell's party with him. Had a real nice time.
Friday, July 3
Sure was sleepy. Started Oral a dress. Leah came down- we went to town. saw Cara- they were planning for the fourth with Frank, Mrs. Bassett, Elfrida. Mr. Gilliam came by here. I went to town and ordered some things. Went to a lecture at the Methodist Church with Mr. Trimble. Came home and fixed my lunch. Went to bed after 12. Papa and Mama at supper were at Dr. Smith's. Mr. Minteer was by to make a date. Coot came by.
Sat July 4
Coot, Leah, Sara, Gillium, Tom, Elfreda, Stanley, Ima, Oral, Lucile, Mr and Mrs. Wittman, Cara, Mr. Minteer and me all came to Deitricks fishing. Had lots of fun. Cara and I started off on Topsy and Earl's horse. She fell off. We took her to the house- had an awful time. Mr. Minteer and I hardly knew what to do. Mama and Papa came out from dinner with Frank and Miss Bazzet. We got home late. Was really tired.
| Papa Jones as a young doctor |
| Back of photo |
Went to SS and came by Aunt Carrie's. Took a nap Elfreda and Cara came up. We came to town. Trimble came home with us. Had a date to go to church with Mr. Cabbiness. Mr. Trimble wanted a date too. Cara and I drove and met Earl. He wanted us to drive with him so we did. I had to get out soon tho. She and Earl went to church with us.
Click for Earl Trimble's grave.
Monday, July 6
Made me a corset cover. Went by for Cara and we went to town. Earl wanted to take us to the show. I said I wasn't going and she begged me to. It rained hard- just about right. Couldn't go. Trimble and I walked up on the hill and made a date to go to the rink Tues night.
Tues. July 7
I started me a waist. Elfreda phoned me and said the girls were going to the rink. Mr. Minteer phoned me about the show. I went by for Cara but she was in town. She and Leah came home with us. I finished my waist. Cara and I went to the show with Mr. Minteer. Had lots of fun.Got home at 12.
Wed. July 8
Went up to Leah's after dinner. W went by for Cara and went to town. Aunt Lulu came. After supper, we walked around. Leah went to Eastern Star and Cara came home with me. I went part way home with her and we talked a very long time.
Thurs, July 9
I sure felt bum. Slept nearly all morn. After dinner Cara and I went to Saras, Leahs, Elfredas. We five and Miss Bazzet went kodaking. Ima and Frank were with us. Leah, Cara and I took Sara home in the "buckboard" as Leah says. Had lots of fun and Leah and I went to Aunt Carrie's.
Click for info about Buckboard
Fri, July 10
Shelley came home. Lucile and I went "plumming". Leah and I took a bunch of little kids to the river wading. Aunt Lulu went away. Cara came up awhile. We went to to a dance at Mrs. Pratt's with Shelley. Turned Cabbiness down. Had a very nice time. Cara leaves in the morn. I sure hated to tell her good-bye.
Saturday, July 11
Went after some plums with Beulah Wells (Mrs. Steele). We all plummed and had a picnic. All afternoon at Brockman's. Aunt Carrie and us camped. We got here about 10:30. Was 12 when we got to bed. About 3, it rained on us . We grabbed our beds and got under the wagon. We were at Deep Creek.
Sunday, July 12
After breakfast, Aunt Carrie and I chased down the creek to see a snake they caught. Met the girls. Stanley, LD and Ervin came and we waded. They all went in bathing. It was awfully windy and looked like rain. I wrote in my diary. Mr. Cabbiness and I went to church.
Monday, July 13
Made me a corset cover and sewed on Oral's dress.Leah came by awhile.
Tuesday, July 14
I finished Orals dress. Went to Leah's after dinner. I finished corset cover and put buttons and buttonholes on butterfly and the other waist. She helped me. We went over to Mabels. (Beuetts)
Wed, July 15
After dinner, Leah and I went to town. Saw Miss Bazett and Elfreda. Wrinkled clothes. Mr. Frost, Shelley, and Meyers, McClure played. I went over to leah's and Coot was there. Mrs. B and kids were there.
Received a letter from Mary wanting me to go to Colorado.
Thurs, July 16
Lucile ironed (in wash house) till almost noon. Leah and I went to town after dinner. Saw Sara, Elfreda and Miss Bazett. Mary phoned to me wanted me to go to Colo with her.
Friday, July 17
Late a storm came up. We went to Gum's. Byron was gone after cows. Beatrice stayed with Lucile. Myers came- he and Shelley played. I read. Byron, baby and I went to Mrs. Brown's to see if she would wash for us. Came by Aunt Carrie's. I came home and washed. I got home and washed and got thru just after dinner. Washed my dress.
| Lucile and Juanita |
Sat, July 18
Went to town. Phoned Mary. Ironed. Went to Leah's. She and I went to town. Byron and I rode Topsy and went out to Sara's.
Sun, July 19
Went to SS. Elfreda and I went to P.O. Met Newlin, Stanley, and went to ice cream parlor. Guy and Newlin ate supper with us. Elfreda and Frances were here. Guy came to take me driving but E out stayed him. Miss B came by- she and E went to town. Caught on to Earl. Lucile and LD, Beatrice, Stanley and I went driving. Liked to have had a run away! Logan got scared. Remember how Bee and I laughed.
| Stanley before a Sayre Baseball game. |
Mon, July 20
Went to Leah's. She, Sara and I went to town. Elfreda got with us. I went to Aunt Carries office. After supper, Mabel Bennett came over. She, Shelley and I drove them. She , Mamma and I went to Aunt Carrie's.
Tues, July 21
Went to office and helped Aunt Carrie. Like the work pretty well. We traded some. Went by ice cream parlor. Walked down town with Ima, Lucile, Oral (Dot, Chloe, Carl, Ira and Alva came in today). Newlin, Carl, Alva, Ervin, LD and the girls all were here.
Wed. July 22
Rained hard about noon. Papa and I waiter at corner and at Clay's at dinner at Neal's. Leah came and drove after supper. We went to town with the kids, there were all here and played. Dot, Ima and Oral stayed all night. I went home with Leah.
Thurs, July 23
Went to office late. Rained again. Leah and all the kids went to rink. Byron and started out to Lora's on Topsy after. The horse and buggy and Shelley were out there. Papa had a call and we met Shelley. I wrote in my diary for almost two weeks back.
Friday, July 24
After supper, Aunt Carrie and I went to Mrs. Vicks. Leah came over there and talked to me. Aunt C and I drove by the rink awhile. Shelley left for Amarillo.
Saturday, July 25
Same old story. Went to office. Mama was in town. Mrs. B, Aunt C, Leah and I went to skating rink. Had a fight there. We skidded! Alva stayed here!
Sunday, July 26
Went to SS. Drove up to Leah's. We drove. Took Tom to town. Dot, Olva, Ervin, Newlin, Ima and Oral ate dinner with Lucile and Stanley- all of them. Carl, LD and I walked to RR bridge. Too cloudy to take pictures. Leah and Sara started but we went home. We all came by ice cream parlor. Alva stayed here. Carl dried the dishes for me.
Mon, July 27
Rained. Walked up the hill at noon with Mr. Minteer. Had a time with my old parasol. Bot a new one. Mrs. Brockman gave a party for the kids. Carl dried the dishes for me. Elfreda came up- we went to party. Had lots of fun. Got cards from Lee, Dick- Letters from Mary, Lynne and Jewel.
| Lucile with parasol |
Tuesday, July 28
I intended to take my SS class for a picnic but didn't. Sure was HOT today. Leah came down after supper.
Wed. July 29
Was hot again. Wrote to Jewel, Lynne and Mary. Got a letter from Cara and doing from Lois wedding. Went to bed early. Got a letter from Louis.
Thurs, July 30
Same old thing. Hot. Went to office.
Friday, July 31 (LONEWOLF)
Nothing doing- usual.
Sat, Aug 1
Same old story- went to office- hot- got Papa a birthday present. He was 48.
Sunday, Aug 2
Mama and Papa went to Liberty Hill. Aunt Carrie and Brockman's went to creek. I went to SS. Stayed at home until 3:30 by myself. Aunt C and Mrs. B came in. I went back with them. We went bathing- had lots of fun. I walked up the hill after supper.
Click for info about Liberty Hill
Monday, August 3
Went to office.
Tues, Aug 4
Rebecca Partman came to work for us. I walked by for Mabel B. We went to Leah's. Took Medicine- sure was sick about 5.
Wed. August 5
Did nothing- only go to office. Went about 10:30. Leah came by.
Thurs, Aug 6
"ditto"
Fri, Aug 7
Mama and Edgar went to McCatherine's after Byron. Newlin had his eyes operated on.
Sat, Aug 8
Same old story. Went by to see Newlin.
Sun Aug 9
Went to SS. Stayed all day at Aunt Carrie's. Read and Slept (Nedra)
Click for more info about Nedra Book
Mama came home. Rained a little bit. a wind storm. Papa got a call away out to the Starvation. (Starvation Creek- Beckham County, OK
Mon. Aug 10
Lucile and I phoned to come to Lone Wolf and Mangum. I felt bad. Went office- Dr. The kids had a party here.
Tues, Aug 11
Stayed home and sewed. I felt awful bad. Papa gave me some pills. Shelley came home. Awful windy. Mama went to vote on school boards.
Wed. August 12
Sick- stayed home all day. Read my book. rained about 6- went to bed early.
Thursday, Aug 13
Mama is breaking her neck to get Lucile some dresses made. I went to Dr. office today. Went to measuring party at Gum's. Saw Grace Howard.
Fri, Aug 14
Went by Aunt Carrie's after we quit work then to Brockman's. Packed our trunks. Went to bed about 12- heard clock strike 1.
Sat, Aug 15
We left for Lone Wolf and Mrs. Brockman and Nina Bell left for Hobart and Roosevelt. I hated to leave baby Juanita. We had to wait in Clinton until about 1. We bummed and bummed. Sure was tired. thot the train would never come. We got here about 9.No one to meet us. Minnie, her mother & baby and two boys. Uncle, Lucile and I went to the ice cream supper. Certainly was tired.
Sun. Aug 16
Went to Gussies came back and dressed and stayed all day with her. Went to Jewels. To train with Lee. By ice cream parlor. and telephone office. She and Uncle John tried to teach me to ride a wheel. (Bicycle). I stayed with Gussie.
Monday, Aug 17
Mrs. McInturff let me sleep until 8. I went to Aunt Lulu's. Wrote in diary. Slept from 1 to four. Dr. Simms, Mr. Jones and I went to Gussies. We played cards and ate watermelon. Had lots of fun. Dr. Simms brot me home.
Tues Aug 18
O worked the button holes in two corset covers and Lucile's dress- put button on them. Washed my clothes and took a nap. Gussie came by- we went to town. Jewel, Gus, Dr. Sims and I went to the ball game. "Not her Hubbard" game. Gussie's preacher walked home with us. After supper he (Bro Smith) and Dr. Simms called Gussies. We went to ice cream parlor. Preach is a mess. I stayed with Gussie. We laughed and laughed after we went to bed.
Wed Aug 19
I went home and ironed. Got letters from Mary, Lynne and Louis. I went to ethels. We ate apples, peaches, watermelon. Fished and waded- had lots of fun. Sure was hot. It rained. Gussie came by Jen's. Harry brot me home. Got a card from mama.
Thurs, Aug 20
I fixed my clothes and packed my suitcase. We came to Mangum on the noon train. Mary and Lynne met us. Everyone seemed glad to see us. We drove thru town. Saw Herbert. Came over to Aunt Edna's about 5. Went to town. Met Jessie and Mary at Gutheries. Walked to town with Paul Carlock. Nellie came by for me. I went over there. Mary, Mr. Young, Percy, Jessie and I went to the park. We rowed. Had ice cream. Park is very nice. James Simmonds brot me home- he is a sight.
Fri Aug 21
I stayed here all day. Took a long nap. Helped make Velma a dress. Mr. Thompson came for me. I went out there.
Sat, Aug 22
Rained some. Mr. M brot me in about 4. Nellie, Mary and I drove. I stayed at Aunt Edna's. Mary, Kestler , verna came.
Sunday, August 23
Rained. I wrote in the diary. Jewel came by in a carriage. Went to her house. Mrs. W told me Lucile was sick. We went to Shipley's to see her. Went by Beulah Walters. She, Jewel, Buddie and I drove. Ate dinner at hotel. Met. "Le Compte". After dinner, we went by Beulah's. Herbert came up awhile. We went out to Jewels. I went to Mary's at four. Hester, Verna, Callie and Jessie came. I went to see Mrs. Doyle. Mellie, Mary, Percy, Jesse and I drove in carriage. I stayed with Mary.
| "Uncle Buddie" is one of these guys in the photo but I am not sure which one. |
Monday, Aug 24
I went to Lynne's. Lucile and I stayed all day. Came by bank and got my money. Went to an entertainment at Miss Russ Jacobs. Hester, Verna, Olen, Easton, Lynne, Anna, Mary, Nellie, Margaruite, Sallie and I stayed all night with Lynne and her friend, Margaruite. We all went to the show. I had to go with "Uncle Buddie" Darn! He is so silly. Le Compte, Herbert, and Bonner came home with the others. We four girls had a time. We tried to sleep abut 2:30 but the others wouldn't let us. They sat up all night. Remember how Jewel scared us about the man. We all piled in the toilet. Jewel and Magaret would not let us sleep. They put ink on us- they sat up all night.
Tues, Aug 25
We took Margaret to the train and then rode around. I slept awhile. Hester Vernon, Mr. Harris and I played tennis. Mary, Velma and I stayed with Hester. Mr. Keburg, Frank and Eagan- Dave Randall and Mr. Young came up. We took lunch and went out on boating. I FELL IN! had lots of fun.
Wed, August 26
Randall came out and we went to the show. I stayed at Aunt Edna's. Velma and I came to town. Took a nap. Played tennis. Randall came out. We went to the show.
Thursday, Aug 27
Mary, Hester and I went to Peach Orchard. I stayed with Jewel. Uncle Buddie phoned and she sure handed him a lemon. Lynne, Bonner, Jewel, Mr. Le Compte and I went to the show. Sat with Court Housepark. Herbert came home with me. We went by Lynne's. (Spent the day with Sallie)
Fri, Aug 28
Lucile and I went to town. Got me a skirt. We went to courthouse to see Jewel. Went back about 3. Mary, Mr. L and I took in a picnic and had our fortune told. Herbert brot me home. We took in show and ate supper with Mr. L. Stayed with Jewel.
Sat, Aug 29
Lynne wanted me to take dinner with her but she, Willie, Mc Kithen and I ate with Mary. Hester, Jessie and Sallie came to Mary's to see me and took me to the train. Lynne, Sallie and I went to town. "GEE- Uncle Buddie"
Lucile and I came to Lone Wolf. Aunt Lulu was gone. Ate supper with Gussie, Alice, Lee, Gus and I went to telephone office.
Sun Aug 30
We met Jewel and Mr. L. Compte. She came home with me. Gussie came to the train. We got breakfast in Clinton- got some music. Got home at 1:30. Mr. L. and Claude Taylor came over. Guy came after supper.
| The front of the Diary. So pretty! |
No comments:
Post a Comment