Thursday, February 27, 2014

Sayre, OK, January-June, 1909- Boyfriend drama, teaching woes, and a Bunko party

Sunday, January 17, 1908
Went to SS and Church. Vivian went with me. Mr. Shouse came and sat by us. He came home with us. I mentioned "report cards" and he never said anything coming over. After dinner, Vivian and I wrote some letters and went to the PO and saw Mr. Shouse. I went on up to Leah's and came by Mrs. Fisher's. Met Uncle Donald. Stayed there until about 7:15. Mr. Shouse had phoned about 4 times for me. I fixed my report cards. Mr. Turner and Vivian came in after church. Mr. T said to me, "Trixie you ought to not run from him like that. If you are tired of him tell him so." and I smiled- ha! I told him I didn't want any of his advice.
The Diary

Monday, Jan 18
Same thing at school. Studied some for RC. Aunt Carrie said a whole lot about Miss Julia leaving. Vivian and I got mad and spield around.  (spield means to speak extravagantly of).
A friend and Vivian

Tuesday, Jan 19
Same old story, Had a very good school day. Went to Mr. Fosters to R.C. Meeting. Katherine and I went together. Foggy when we came home.

Wed. Jan 20
Beautiful day. Mr. Shouse and I went to show. "Cowboy and his Sweetheart"- Harry Hugo's show. Mr. S. said he had something to tell me. Said he would write me a letter.

Thursday, Jan 21
Uncle Donald went to New Mexico. Got my letter from Mr. Shouse. Aunt Carrie, Vivian, Miss Julia and I played whist awhile. Talked to Mamma.
Some friends Kodaking.

Fri, Jan 22
Got along real well at school. Had a little spelling match. Stanley came in. L.D. and I intended to go out home. SO I got a few things, and we all went. Old Aunt Jane Wilmouth was here to see Papa.
Stanley Jones. He later changed his name to Bill Curtis and moved away from Oklahoma.  Not sure why but more about Stanley's life later.....

Sat, Jan 23
Explored the farm. Like it fine. Made baby Juanita a dress. Carried water, cleaned up house, helped wash. (Ima and Coot came) (Ima and Coot were brother and sister). She, Lucile and I visited the school (Miss Curr). Helped get supper. Mopped the floor and made two cakes. Coot and Ima decided to stay all night (with the Jones family).  We made candy. Played cards awhile. Papa was gone most of the time.

Sun. Jan 24
Helped get breakfast. Windy and cool. Coot, LD, Ima, Lucile and I went to the Kelley boys and hunted. We had lots of fun. Hungry as bears at noon. Got home late. Started for town at 4:30. I came with Ima and Coot to town. We got back at 6:30 and ate supper with the Clay's. Coot brot  (sp) me home. I studied psychology.
Lucile and a friend


Mon Jan 25
Did real well at school. Came by Miss Kate's and went to town. I studied on RC work. Talked to Mamma. Uncle D and I drove.

Tues Jan 26
After school, Katherine came over. We studied and went driving with Uncle D. Went by Lewis before school. Sal was there. Came by Miss McClures after school. Reading circle meet at Charlie Foster's. I taught psy and Katherine taught Agriculture.

Wed Jan 27
Had a good school day- yesterday and today. Made a rule about whispering. If they got their names on the board two times to "beware". Pretty day, played with the kids. Got cards from Dt, Aunt Lulu, Oma Lassiter, EllaT. Just bummed around after school and wrote in diary.
Aunt Lulu is buried in Winfield KS. She remarried after Uncle John passed.
Aunt Lulu and her sister


Thurs Jan 28
"Bad wind storm"
Same old story. Talked to Mamma. Aunt Carrie, Uncle Donald and I went to show- "Village School Master".  Wrote note to Mr. Shouse to come home with me- such a windstorm we could not talk.
Aunt Carrie!  Happy Halloween! ha. Nope, it's not Halloween!  She is  in her lodge dress. Yes, a little different I know!   

Fri. Jan 29
Nothing interesting happened. Went to show with Mr. Shouse. He said he had something to say to me. We decided to "dissolve partnership". I wasn't serious enough. Show was good- "Why Girls Leave Home" Click for info about Why Girls Leave Home MP
Aunt Lulu and Uncle John.  Not sure who the kids are.  Bayside, Texas

Sat Jan 30
Went to Miss Kate's. Worked on register all morn. Washed dinner dishes for Miss Julia. Took a bath. Mrs. Nafsinger and I went by office and we all went to the Matinee- "East Lynne"East Lynne Info
All went to show together that night, "York State Folks". Miss Julia went too (Maybelle Fowler Company). Was up to Leah's before supper.

Sun Jan 31
Went to SS but didn't stay for church.Felt bad- took a nap. Didn't eat dinner. Brockman's were here. Aunt Carrie said Uncle Donald said he bet Sal was there . Made me mad and hurt my feelings. I cried
and cried. Leah came down at 1:30 and stayed until 6. We went to town but didn't go to church. Came home with Mrs. Brockman and stayed all night.
Aunt Carrie in her later years.  She looks serious and a little sad.  As several of our family members did,  she had her share of tragedy.  Her only Grandchild died  in WWII. More about his story later....

Mon Feb 1
School as usual. Came by Miss Kate's and studied after school. Studied after supper and went to bed early.

Tuesday Feb 2
Read some after school. Went to Alsups real quick to correct bill about six. Went by Katherines and we and Mary Mc went to Miss Bordens to RO meeting. Thought we would never get out of there.  Moon was bright.
Post Card from Mama Jones.  I still love her handwriting.

Wed Feb 3
Stayed late at school. Settling kids fight. Blanche and that bunch.  Talked to Mama and Papa. Eastern Star tonight. Uncle Donald wanted to go but Vivian and I went to lecture.  (Vivian is Aunt Carrie's sister and was staying with them while Trixie was).  Course- Dr. Sears- Fine.  Mrs. B and I went to Martins to see Miss Sallie Taylor.

Thurs Feb 4
Same old story. Talked to folks.  We moved to our house today.

Fri Feb 5
Felt Bad. Had trouble with Willie Taylor. He wouldn't draw a map. Took a ride with Uncle. Took a cry after school. Felt blue. Mama, Lucile and baby Juanita came. Folks all went to a dance. Sure was glad to see my Mama.

Sat Feb 6
Windy. Washed some. Maria and I went to town, collected some, had a time, came home late. She and Aunt Carrie went to town. I had baby Juanita. She cried and cried but finally went to sleep. Mrs. B came over. I took a bath and read some.

Sun Feb. 7
Didn't go to Church or SS. Mama went home. Vivian and I went down to Mr. Hosmer's and had some crazy pictures in our teachers packets. After dinner we bummed around.  Went after mail. She and Aunt Carrie went to train. Mabel Bennett came over. I read some. Went to church with folks.

Mon. Feb 8
Cold and very windy. House out home caught fire. Mr. Turner, Vivian, Mr. Shouse and I played whist. They beat us three games.

Tues Feb 9
Didn't think I would go to RC meeting but Miss Kate came by. We met at Hensons. Had lots of fun. Aunt Carrie went to lodge. Vivian and Uncle D went to Guthrie.

Wed Feb 10
Papa came about 6. Papa came about 6. Mr. and Mrs. Brockman came and we played whist.

Thurs Feb 11
Pretty day. Nothing to write. Wrote to Louis.

Fri Feb 12
Lincoln's birthday. We had a program at school. Mr. Foster, Mr. Brown, Mrs. McClure and Simpkins visited. Worked on some reports. Miss Julia went to Cheyenne.

Sat Feb 13
Aunt Carrie went to town without breakfast. I got mine, cleaned up, ironed, cleaned and pressed blue skirt, Byron, Edgar and Stanley came and Newlin. I went to town. Leah came home with me. We had a little show. Stanley and Edgar stayed here. Byron stayed at Freeman's. I got supper and we went to town.
Cousin Newlin.  Yes, I said Cousin Newlin.  Apparently Trix thought it to be funny too.  On the back of the photo it is written, "Newlin and his best doll. HA!"

Sun Feb 14
Blizzard, Blizzard!  Newlin and I went to SS and then to town. Came by for Miss Ella after book. Nearly froze. Couldn't get house warm. I got dinner. Worked on report cards in kitchen- awful cold. Brockmans were here. We couldn't get house warm all day. Newlin went back.  Baby Juanita was very sick at home.
Newlin again!  Look at those curls!

Mon Feb 15
Still cold- kids still here. Byron and Edgar were up at school. Went to town after school. Paid $ to Richardson. $10 to Troxel. 8.75 to Pinkerton. Uncle D came home- so did Miss Julia.

Tuesday Feb 16
Very pleasant day. Kids went home. Studied some after school. Went to Miss Kate's.  Then went to RE Meeting at Mary McMurtry's. We had lots of fun. Una and Bess came by. Folks went to show- Twin Hells.
Twin Hells Book  (The show was based on the book- about life in Kansas and Missouri prisons.)

Wed Feb 17
Tolerably pretty day. I read after school. "Self Raised" Info about Self Raised
Went to bed early. Uncle D and Aunt C went to Gumms to a Whist Party.

Thurs Feb 18
Nothing happened. Vivian came home. Came by Una's.

Fri Feb 19
Vivian came home.  I rode home (to Mama and Papa's) with John McKathern. Got here about 6.

Sat Feb 20
Mrs. Kirby was here. I sewed, helped wash, etc. Pretty day. Read some and studied some.

Sun Feb 21
We kids rode horseback. Chased up and down the creek. Played hide and seek. Papa was gone most of the time- took a nap. Mamma and Mrs. Kirby drove some.

Mon Feb 22
No school today. Beautiful Morning. Took baby Juanita and went to the creek. Had a dandy time. Mrs. K, Byron and I left for town at 1.  Before we got there, the wind was blowing there. Got there about 5. Vivian and I went to town.

Tuesday Feb 23
Went to school. Awfully windy and cold. Mrs. K wouldn't let Byron go home.He stayed with Jessie Brown. I studied some. RC met at Miss Kate's . I taught it.

Wed Feb 24
Nothing to write. Went up to Miss Ina's. She and Mr. Fisher came by. They all went to the show.

Thurs. Feb 25
Aunt Carrie and Uncle D went to Okla City.  I read Mr. Turner book. Was up to see Vivian. Leah came down and went to hotel. Paid Mrs. Wood.

Fri Feb 26
We had speaking at school. Went to town. Made my corset cover Mama started.

Sat Feb 27
Cleaned up room good and sewed some. Went to a teachers meeting. Miss Kate, Miss Fowler, and Gussie Slonkard and I went to town. Sara and Leah joined us. Bummed . S and L brought me home. Una, Bess, Mr, Seifert, Miss Julia, Vivian and I went to show. Sayre and Berlin debated. LD, Ervin, Marvin Fox, Roy Smith, Lee Goddard, Roy Winters- Fine. Aunt Carrie and Uncle D came home. I made some candy with Miss Ella's recipe.
Kodaking

Sun Feb 28
Went to SS and Church. Went to Sara's after dinner. Leah , Sara and I drove awhile. Didn't go to church. Miss Julia, Miss McClure and I walked.

Mon, March 1
Pretty day. Teachers RC meet with me. I made some candy after school. Aunt C and Uncle D went to school. Miss McClure was over too.

Tuesday March 2
Went up to see Jewel. and Elmer. They are sick.  The show was "Dangerous Friend". They all went but Miss Julia and me. Miss Ina phoned. I went up the street- she wanted me to go to the show with her. Miss J and I went to town.

Wed March 3
After school, I went to see one of my students- Aubrey- Sick. Went to town. Miss McClure came back with me. Went up to Lewis. Joined Eastern Star. Mr. Andrews and Mr. Ford played a joke on Lima Holenshelt and me. Sure was tired and sick. Papa came but got a call and had to leave and go back home.

Thursday, March 4
Felt bad. Lay down. Una and Bess came by. I went to town. Uncle D drove me to Jewel's. Newlin came home. (Newlin was in college at this time) Miss Ina phoned me. I went up there. She, Vivian and I went to show. Mrs. Gumm came over.
Newlin as an adult.  See, he grew up to look normal. 

Friday March 5
After school, Una came out here. Went by town and got some things.  Thot we were on the wrong road twice. Moonlight got here about 8. Papa arrived at 9. Had lots of fun.

Sat March 6
Made baby Juanita an apron. Edgar and I made some candy. Una, Lucile and Stanley went to Sweetwater. I made some salmon salad.

Sun March 7
Pretty day. Just piddled around. Some folks came to see papa. Una and I started to town about 3:30. Got here about 6:45. dressed for church- (packed most of my things church) We all went to the Christian Church.

Mon March 8
Nothing happened. sprinkled my clothes before school and ironed after Miss Kate came up. Went to see Ms. Lee Anderson on Dr. business for Papa. Doc Thomas came. He and Brockmans came after show. Miss Julia and Ninabelle made candy. Newlin went back.
Newlin's wife, Edna Jones.

Tues March 9
Ground covered in snow. Pretty!  Papa in town- didn't get to see him tho. Went to RC (RC is reading circle) meeting at Miss Ola's. Mary MC, Miss Kate and I went. I phoned to Mrs. Hoesshelts about board (place to live). Went up to Miss Ina's.

Wed March 10
I went to Miss Seiferts after school to see about board but nix. After school, Uncle D and I talked. I told him I was going to board somewhere else. - He thought that was best. Aunt C went to show and I read awhile. Uncle D stayed here tho.
Uncle D.

Thurs March 11
Snowy and sleety. Went by Mrs. Mericas and to Mrs. Hensons. Was going to board at latter place.  Came by Miss Ina's. . Phoned Mama. Came over to Uncle D's- finished packing and locked my trunk. Aunt C said she didn't want me to go. At noon, went by Jenks to get trunk hauled. He took it by there. Came after some things- Aunt Carrie was here. We "cussed and discussed" some things.  When I started leaving, she begged greatly for me to stay. I got as far as the hall but she wouldn't hear of my going. I was determined but finally decided to wait till morning.  Called Mama to tell her about it.

Fri March 12
Snowing. Called Mama at noon. Snowed all day. Kids snowballed me greatly. Talked to Papa after school about me moving- he said "leave it to Uncle D". Saw Miss Kancher and Grace going to town and went with them. Snowing pretty- Saw Uncle D and he said I needed to stay. Mr. Turner and the others played cards. I graded my cards! ha. LD and I were going out home but for the snow-

Sat March 13
Had my trunk brot back. Cleaned up, sewed some, fixed blue skirt. Went to town about 3. Snow was all melted but mud, mud, mud! Got baby Juanita two dresses and some hose for myself. Paid 9.95 and 12.10 to Lumber Yard. $1 for my watch at frosts. Met Miss McClure and went back with her. Went to Miss Ina's and then to Una's. Went by Jessies but she wasn't home. After supper, I sewed. Uncle D had the piano tuned.

Sun March 14
Beautiful day. Went to SS and Church. Miss McClure came by. Went to PO and riding with Uncle D. Walked up street  and went to Miss graces. She, Miss McClure, Kauncher and I walked to school building- coming home, met Una, Bess, and Rose. Got in and drove with them. Worked and transferred grades to my register and wrote in here.

Mon March 15
School as usual. I sewed on baby dresses. Folks went to show.

Tues, March 16
Pretty day. While I was hearing last spelling class, Reginald wouldn't study. I whipped him some. He proceeded to "cuss" me out. ( remember she was only 19 at this time and Reginald was probably almost as old as her and probably larger than she ). Sent for Prof. Decided to punish him on Wed.  Went home with Katherine. Then Uncle D and I went to town. Went to RC (reading circle) meeting. at Mrs. Browns.

Wed March 17
Mr. Foster came up. Whipped Reginald and then talked to him a long time. Came back again. After school, Mrs, Kirby came over. I sewed some. We all went to show. Made out some report cards.  I sewed some- we all went to the show. Made out some report cards after I came back. Pretty day.

Thurs March 18
Lovely day. Hot as summer. Lucile and Papa came in. Went to town. Lucile, Ima, Oral and I bummed around. Finished the baby's dress. Went up to Ima's. We all came by Una's. Came home. Miss Ina phoned me and we went to the show.

Fri March 19
A very pretty day. Saw LD after school. He said he could go home with us. His mother wouldn't let him. Lucile and I went to town. Tried to find a way- saw two men- Mr. Stone. Coot walked up the street with me. Said I could drive them home. Went up to Clay's. too long to write- got horse tho and buggy. LD went with us and left town for home about 6:30. Looked stormy. Got coal and very windy. Nearly froze had lots of fun tho. Stanley and Byron met us about 4 1/2 miles from home. Scared us! We got home about 11. Ate some and went to bed. Sure was tired. ("Smiths") "3 1/2 miles" "Prentiss or Bust"

Sat March 20
 Just piddled around. Papa and I walked over farm- oats, etc. Boys chased rabbits. Took their dinner out there- I made two cakes and some candy. Mama, the baby and I went to Prentiss (in 10 minutes). Came back and helped plant potatoes and plant them. We retired early.

Sun March 21
Bradley and Randall came to peer Papa. Stayed for dinner. I went  to Sweetwater with Papa. Saw Miss Carabell- Mrs. Rogers and kids came to see Papa too. LD and I left for town 10 till 3. Got here about 10 till 6. Didn't go to church- was tired and sleepy.

Mon March 22
Very good day at school. We planted garden. Went to town.

Tuesday, March 23
Good. School. Planted garden. Went to town after school. Took black hat to be trimmed. Met Jessie- we looked at dress goods. I walked home with her. Was going to go to teachers reading circle but it rained. Thundered and blew. Hailed some. Cleaned up parasol. Went to town to get my hat.
Not sure who this little girl is.  This was in Trixie's scrapbook.

Wed March 24
 Pretty day in morning at school. We are still gardening. Were planting flowers at noon. A bad cloud came up. About 1 we had an awful sand storm. Kids were scared. Wanted to go home, etc. Mr. Foster brot us the flag. It blew all eve. and turned colder. Nina and I went to town after school. Got me a white linen dress. Was at Mrs. Vances before school. Vivian and I went to Bible study after supper.

Thurs March 25
Was going to sew. Jessie called me and I went up there. Came by here and went to town- had some ice cream. Sent cards to Mary and rec'd one. Went to show with Aunt Carrie and Uncle Donald.

Fri March 26
Pretty day. Got along dandy. Had speeches. Mrs. Foster visited us. Miss Ola, Anna Lee, Katherine and I went to town.  Cuff's Millinery opening. (Hat maker). Came up hill with Mary. Went to Miss Ina's and Jessie's. Vivian and I stayed home. Folks went to show. Miss Julia to Campbell's.

Sat March 27
Ironed for Aunt Carrie. Helped clean up. Miss Julia went to Cheyenne. Cooked Doughnuts, got dinner. Went to teachers meeting at 2. Katherine and I went to town. Met Mary Mc. We all bummed. Candy and popcorn. We, Mary and I went to see Jewel, John and Pearl. Mrs. Harrison came home. I finished washing dinner dishes and got supper ready.

Sun March 28
Went to SS and church- pretty day. Went to Mrs. Vances and then to Mary's. also by post office. Nina and Blanche were here. Miss McClure and Edna White came by. All went to Miss McClure's. I walked home with Edna. Went to church.

Mon March 29
My Birthday!!!! Kids (at school) all guessed how old I was (they guessed 16, 20, 23, 25, 24 ,21, 27 etc.) Went to town. Katherine and I got rest of stuff for dress. Got supper with Leah. Mabel Bennett, Mrs. Williams, Jessie were here talking about the "Mask" ball.
Card from Papa and Mama Jones to Trixie on her birthday.

Tues March 30
Papa came in. I went up to Mrs. Will Lewis' and fixed her hair. Helped Aunt C and Vivian get ready for the ball. Mary and Kate came by but I didn't go to the teachers meeting. Papa, Miss Julia and I went to watch ball. rained came home in a cab (horse and buggy cab)

Wed March 31
Went to town after school with Miss McClure. Went to Bible Study with Mrs. Gumm. Got sleeve pattern from Mrs. White.

Thurs, April 1
Kids locked me out in morning and at noon too. Sewed on my waist after school. Just about the time Aunt C came to the house, Vivian and I had a "spat" over Nina Bell and Miss Borden. I went to lot and cried and cried on the front porch.

Fri. April 2
Lucile and Stanley came in. We went to town- came back after Miss McClure. We bummed- we came back by Edna's. We all went to auditorium to entertainment together. Went by Edna's first.  Entertainment was fine.
Lucile and Edgar Jones

Sat. April 3
Went to town. Lucile and I had stamps taken. She stayed with Stanley and I went home. Got here about 1. Baby is so sweet. Planted some flower seeds. Papa and I fixed a chicken.
Stanley Jones

Sun April 4
Felt bad. Piddled around. Played with baby. Slept after dinner. Some folks came to see us. Stanley and I came in the wagon. Wind blowing again. Sure was tired. Dressed and went to Katherine's. We walked. Miss Julia and I went to church.

Mon April 5
 Sure Felt bad. Hot. Oh, it is hot! went to town to get my shoes. got some vests.

Tuesday. April 6
Went by Miss Ima's. Was up after school. We all went to town and looked at hats. Went to entertainment with Miss Ina. "Shuberts". Fine!!! Vivian didn't go.  Took off my union suit. This morning it turned cold.

Wed, April 7
Still cool. Put on long sleeved shirt. Went to town to see hat and went back 3 times. Still not finished. Edna, Miss Lane and I went up the street. Went by Miss Edna's and then to Bible study.

Thurs, April 8
Went to Mrs. Vance's at noon. Ate dinner and got my dress. We had speaking. Mrs. Lewis came. After school I went to town. Got some slippers, hose and looked at a hat at Cuff's. (Took hat back to Whitehursts before school) Miss McClure and Jessie were here. I ironed and fixed to go to Elk City.
The entire  Jones Family. 

Sat. April 10
Sat alarm last night at 8:30 but didn't wake up till 6:15.Got ready quick- you bet! Wore V-hat. All teachers went from here. Mrs. and Mr Foster and I got breakfast. Looked at hat's went to teacher's meeting.  Got a pretty hat.  After I got home, Mrs. Brockman got mad at me about the hat.

Sun, April 11- Easter
Awful windy. Went to SS and then to hall. Masons and Eastern Star marched in to church. Pretty services. Lots of pretty hats. Papa and Lucile were in- ate dinner at hotel. Took a nap after dinner from 2 till 5. Mrs. Gumm came up. I wrote to Shelley. Aunt C and I went to church. Mr. Harrison talked.
Shelley Jones

Mon April 12
Got supper. Was aiming to study. Jewel called me. She and Mr. Le Compte were here. Vivian and I went to Hedgepeth to see her. Mr. Minteer was in there. Jewel, V and I went to show. V. came home with Turner. We came by White's. Then by courthouse after Le Compte.

Tues, April 13
Got Supper. Went to reading circle and Grace's.

Wed, April 14
Miss Kate, Vivian and I went to Bible class early. Went to town and got some cream.                             Got supper.


Thurs, April 15
Same old story, folks!  Went to show. V and I went and then to Harrison's.

Fri. April 16
Show in town- "Uncle Tom's Cabin" Came by Harrisons before school. Kids all excited over parade. Blanche and Oma went home with me. Stanley stayed here. We got home about 9.  Ate supper and went to bed pretty soon. Took off union suit.
Stanley Jones in an Auto.

Sat, April 17
Fished, Rode horseback, kids rode to Prentiss. Edgar and I dressed up to scare the kids.
Prentiss, OK.  Trixie is holding Juanita in the photo in the back by the shoe store.


(Papa and Mama Jones had bought or rented a farm in Prentiss, OK and moved there.   That is why Trix was in Sayre staying with Aunt Carrie.)


Sun, April 18
Papa wanted Stanley to come back today. So we started for town about 11 got here at 2:30. Took Calomel. Sure was sick. Went to hotel to see Jewel and Le Compte. They were on their way to Okla City then to Mangum. Folks went fishing. I was over at Brockman's until dark. Turned awful cold and windy. I went to bed early.
Stanley and Lucile

Mon, April 19
Sure felt bad after medicine. I made some ginger cookies after school and got supper. Went to town at noon- business at bank for Papa.

Tues April 20
Went to reading circle. Met at Charlie Foster's. Muddy for it rained today. Remember what I saw from the kitchen door.

Wed, April 21
Got supper and studied Bible lesson. Vivian and I went to Bible school. Could answer most of the questions Mr. Brady taught. Went to town- got Byron a knife and the baby something also.

Thurs. April 22
Nothing to write- only school. Have about 36. Put union suit back on.

Fri April 23
Thought I was going to go home. Phoned but nix. I sure was disappointed, Cried. Went to town and walked home with Coot- got a waist and cut it out.

Sat April 24
Folks went to Elk. Nearly got left. I cleaned up good. Sewed on waist. Mr. B. came over. I went over there for dinner. Washed my head. Nina Bell and I went to ballgames.  Got supper. Erick VS Sayre beat both. Vivian, Aunt Carrie, Mrs. Brockman and I went to the show. Got a letter from Gussie.

Sun April 25
Went to SS. Miss McClure and I went to town then to Jessie's. Hot- slept awhile- sure felt bad. Went to Cara's. She and I went to post office then to Sara's but she wasn't home.  Didn't go to church. Went to Wells to see Leta's baby. Vivian, Aunt C and Mrs B went to Church. I was tired and was fixing to go to bed. Uncle Donald came and talked me into getting ice cream.  We went after it- stormy- got home and just got here and a big rain came. It poured.
This was later than 1909 but this is Cara's daughter.  Isn't she cute!

Mon April 26
Rained again this morning. Kids barefooted and wading. Made some pillow slips after school. Aunt C and I sewed till 11 on her waist. Made Supper.

Tues, April 27
Cloudy. Sewed at noon on apron. Finished waist after school except sleeves. Mary and I went to RC at Miss Borden's.

Wed April 28
We washed and I cleaned up house. Did dishes. Put sleeves in waist and finished up apron before school. Cloudy- then turned off pretty then hot and windy!!!! Had about 30 kids this week. Finished apron after school and got supper. Viv and I went to Bible school. Mr McKensie taught. I was appointed teacher next time. Wrote in diary after I got home.

Thurs April 29
Same old story. Made some lemon pies and some gingerbread.

Friday, April 30
LD and I went out home. Windy and cool.

Sat May 1
Sewed. Made Lucile a white coat suit. Fished a long time. LD and Stanley waded. After supper, we made candy. Ran races and played hide and seek.

Sun May 2
Sisn't do as much all day. We started to town about 5. Got here after 7.

Mon May 3
Nothing Unusual.
I am not sure who wrote this letter.  It wasn't Mama Jones but it was someone within the family.  Maybe Aunt Carrie was helping with the kids?  At the top it says that Aunt Lulu's brother died.  

Tues May 4
Went to teachers meeting. Had a fine time. I taught chapter 5
Letter talking about Juanita getting on table and scribbling.  That is her scribbles on the top of the letter.

Wed May 5
Windy and bad. I went to Bible study and lead the study on Chapt 5.

Thurs May 6
Nothing to write.

Friday, May 7
Mary came at noon. Aunt Carrie met her. Jessie came down- we stayed up there. Leah came by. Sarah, Leah and I went to show.  Newlin came home.

Sat May 8
Mama came in. Mary and I got dinner and chased around here. Walked very stormy and rained some. Mama and I went to town- rained some on us. We all went to play- windy!!! So windy, they postponed play. We stayed for rehearsal. Came home in cab. Pouring down rain.
Mama Jones and Shelley

Sun May 9
Took the baby to SS and then to Jessie's.  She, Mary and I went to Baptist Church- Leah, Tom, Sara, Mary, CL Frost, Frank, Coot, Mr. Gillium and I took some Kodaks. Kept baby Juanita while Mama drove. I sure was tired. Didn't go to church.
Sunday, May 9, 1909. Sayre, OK at Sara's.  Lawson Gillium, Frank Faris, Coot Clay, Trixie Jones, Sara Faris, Mary Powers, Leah Lewis

Mon, May 10
Ate dinner at Jessie's. Was at Mrs. Brockman's at noon to see Mama. Went to town after school. Came back with Mary. We all had a time getting ready for show. I went with Mr. Cabbiness. He came before we were ready. Mary stayed here.

Tues, May 11
Went by Jessie's. There for dinner. We planned a party. They worked all eve. I invited leah and I went to town. Those present were: Leah, Tom, Sara, Mr. Cabbiness, Vivian, Turner, Mabel, Trimble, Katherine, Mr. Bennett, Miss White, Mary, Dr. Lawerance, Mrs. Hullum, Mr. Minteer. We played "BUNKO". Worked joke on Mr. Cabbiness about robbery. He hired a cab.

Wed, May 12
Ate dinner at Jessie's.Mr. Minteer made date for Mary and me to go to Erick. He came up to school at noon. Mr, Hullum and I had a date. So Tom went with Mary. Mary visited our room.  She Sara and I were downtown after school. Went to Erick. Had lots of fun. About 12 people went. Papa, Byron and Edgar were there. Stayed up at Jessie's. We got home  about 12. Mary decided to stay over. Tom and Mr. Minteer made dates with us for Thursday night.
Clipping of Trixie's.  She had tons of clippings in her things we found.

Thurs. May 13
Ate dinner at Jessie's. By Leah's and talked about party. She gave one. I cleaned up the house and washed dishes. Mary and I broke the hammock. Tom and Mr. Minteer took us to the show then to Leah's party. We sat on the porch awhile. Hammock broke twice!

Fri. May 14
Sleepy!!! Dr. Speed and I took Mary to the train. Came back, ate breakfast and went to school. Came by at noon and got my clothes. Papa was in. Sure was glad to see him. It was windy. We started home at 4:30 and got there at 7. Became colder  as usual before we got home!  Went to bed early. Certainly was "all in".
Another Clipping of Trixie's

Sat. May 15
Papa told me it was 9 when it was 7. Got up washed dishes and went upstairs and went to sleep at 9 and slept till 1. After dinner- Byron, Edgar and I fished. Caught one mess. bathed and returned at 10.

Sun May 16
Got up at 5. Had to leave for town at 10. Arrived at 1. Stanley brought me up to Leah's Ice cream parlor. Met Coot. Went to Sara's and up to Jessie's. Didn't go to church.

Mon May 17
37 pupils. Went to town after school with Leah. Folks went to dance. Mrs. Brockman and I went to show. I stayed at her house.
Postcard Lucile sent to Trixie

Tues. May 18
Got up at 8. Real pretty day. Went to town after school. Met Leah and Sara. We drove. Pressed Aunt Carrie's dress. Went to party at Gussie's.
Front of Post Card.  It is a scene from Puerto Rico. 

Wed May 19
School as usual.

Thursday May 20
Rained. Dismissed early. Went to Ladies Aid at Gumm's.

Friday, May 21
Looked cloudy and bad. Byron, Stanley and I started home after school. Got there at dark.

Sat May 22
Fished and "piddled" around all day. Had a good time. Rained some.

Sun May 23
Awful rain storm about 7. Creek came up. Papa brought me to town about 11. Vivian and I went to town. Miss Turner came home with us. Aunt C, Uncle D and I went to Baptist Church.
Uncle Donald in his later years.

Mon May 24
Nothing too entertaining to write. Had school pictures made.

Tues May 25
Ditto
Not sure whose funeral this was from.  On the back it says Elvin Shepherd but I can't figure out who he is.

Wed May 26
Put names in big register. Sure was work.

Thurs May 27
Went to town after school. Got Edgar a knife and some pretty calico things.

Fri May 28
Let kids have a spelling match after recess. Didn't get to go home.

Sat May 29
I sewed on Aunt Carrie's waist- cleaned up. Made a cake. Leah  and Sara were by. We planned a picnic. I went to town real late. Katherine went with me. Aunt Carrie, Vivian and I drove. Then went to show.

Sun May 30
Went to SS and then church. I had to go over to school and make out reports. Mr. Gillium, Sara, Coot, Leah, Mr. Minteer and I went Kodaking. Took our lunch and had a fine time.
Sunday, May 30, 1909- Coot Clay, Sara Farris, Lawson Gillium, Earl Minteer, Trixie Jones

Monday, May 31
 Last week of school,. Practiced dialogues, songs, etc.. Took Voile skirt to town.
May 30, 1909 "Deep Creek"

Tuesday, June 1
Had 35 pupils. Pretty bad. Went to town to see Cuff's about work. Decided I didn't want to teach anymore.
May 30, 1909

Wednesday, June 2
Folks went to Weatherford. Vivian and I got up 10 till 6. Mad! Ironed Aunt Carrie's skirt and went to town. Made out report cards and term reports. Miss Kate came and we worked until 2:30. Had a time writing out application. Mrs. B stayed with us.
More kodaking!

Thursday, June 3
Sure felt bum. Let the kids have a spelling match. Went to town got a skirt and ordered oranges. Packed my trunk. Had decided to go to Weatherford. Was sick but Vivian had a friend from Prague. Mr. Busby. Wanted me to go to the show, so I went. Mrs. B stayed here.

Friday, June 4
Went to school at 8. We started our picnic at 8:3-. Fine time- good lunch. Everyone went but John and Archer. Archie, Robert, Nelson, Riley Elmer, Willie and Melville were wet as rats. Our program was real good. Lots of visitors. I went home after school. Sure was hot!Got my Opal Mr. Frost Set. Robert Freeman came home with Byron. He, papa, Edgar, Lucile were in the back.

Sat June 5
I felt bad. Made two jackets. Finished Aunt C's waist and bathed.  Baby Juanita sure is sweet.Newlin and Lee Fisher came over in an Auto.
Newlin, Uncle Jim Ewing, Uncle Jesse Jones

Sun, June 6
Sure was hot. Went to leave for town about noon. Got here at 3. Packed up and left for Weatherford. Katherine, Mary McMurtry, Eva Hoenshelts. We got here about 9.  Some fellows offered to carry our suitcases. We were out on Hotel porch. They walked out there and acted smart. We were scared and ran back into Hotel.

Mon June 7
Started out to hunt boarding place (she was attending normal school for the summer at Southwestern State in Weatherford). Stopped at Oxford. ha! ha! Not for long but found a real nice place at Mrs. Murrells.  All four of us get to stay together. We all went to town and then came back for dinner. Went up and enrolled and came home and studied.









No comments:

Post a Comment