Thursday, February 6, 2014

Vintage Recipes...Modern Twists.... Aunt Marjorie's Waffles (1956)


Aunt Marjorie's waffle recipe from 1956
Today was a very cold day in the lovely city of Owasso, Oklahoma so the family (minus the Mister) decided to make waffles. 

Aunt Marjorie at age 3.  My "Mimi" at age 1.  Aren't they adorable!  Aunt Marj is a wonderful and kind lady.  She is almost 96 years young and sharp as they come. She lives about two hours from me.  I was fortunate enough to get to spend some time with her back in the Fall.  I loved visiting with her. My little Jack loved sitting on her lap.  He still talks about "Mimi's sister".  I will profile Aunt Marj soon- it will be a good one!


The recipe

My two fearless helpers.  This morning it's Captain America and Jack.  Please ignore the plunder on the cabinet.  That's just how I roll sometimes.. okay, most of the time. ha.


My other helper, Mollie!
Someone was playing a trick on poor Mollie with a fake remote control spider.
Brothers!

The ingredients.  Note: as I make these recipes, I use them as a family history teaching tool.  The boys help me and I tell them fun and interesting things about the family member whose recipe we are making. My boys love it.  We "talk" about my Mimi a lot when I make some of her recipes. It helps to keep her memory alive in my 5 and almost 4 year-old.  Important stuff in my opinion.

Recipe calls for: 2 Eggs, Milk, Baking powder, flower, butter

My additions: a small amount of sugar

Beat the Eggs and Milk.  Next I need my measuring spoon. It was on the counter. Where is it? 

Here it is.. Along with some other essential kitchen items.  My budding chef, Connor, decided to make his own concoction in his bathroom sink.  Well, I guess he's being creative.  "Carry on my good man," as Connor always says.

Measure the baking powder (my measuring spoons are gone so I just "eyeballed" it.  Bad habit, I know.  In high school, I made my Home Ec. teacher cringe with my techniques.  "Sorry, Mrs. Goodrich but it's in my blood" I told her something as to that once.  Probably in more high schooler terms... Anyway-
Fire up the 'ole waffle iron!  This thing is about 17 years old.
I bought it in college.  Yes, I was weird- I know. 
Blurry, I know.  The Pioneer Woman I am not. ha.
The finished product!
 The reviews are in!!!!!!

Mollie- so delicious!!!

Jack loved it as usual.  He is always drawing!

My toughest critic.  He takes a bite.....

Yummmm....Victory dance!!  He and Jack cleaned their plates!

Oh, P.S.- don't forget to serve with a cold glass of orange juice.
Especially good when served in a glass that belonged to Trixie! 

No comments:

Post a Comment