Monday, February 3, 2014

Vintage Recipes....Modern Twists-- Aunt Geraldine's Wacky Cake-


 No Eggs, No Bowls!!!  Since it is a snow day and Jack is out of school.  I decided to make Aunt Gerry's Wacky Cake.

 A mid-1960's photo of Aunt Gerry (in the background in pink) looking like Jackie-O (with granddaughter Cari). Trixie is in the front.  Aren't they all three so beautiful!  I love the gloves... Aunt Geraldine (I always called her "Aunt Gerry") was a talented teacher.  She saved her entire class from being hit by a tornado.  Also, she and her family suffered a horrific fire when her children were young. Her brave and wonderful husband, Mart, rescued their two children.  She was a kind and amazing woman. I know I use the word "amazing" a lot but I think it best describes all the Gideon ladies.  I will be profiling her soon.  Be sure to read it- she had a very interesting and accomplished life.

The Recipe


Connor said, "Chocolate cake!  Let me help!"


Mollie said, "Yum, chocolate cake. Haven't tried it but I know I will like it!"


Ingredients are as follows:
Flour, Sugar, Vanilla, Cocoa Powder, Vinegar, Salted Butter
(The recipe said butter or shortening- I usually always use butter if there is a choice.)
Oh, wait.. I forgot the Baking Soda!  Don't forget that or your cake will not turn out!  Wait, my helper Connor stuck his finger in the baking soda.  Sorry, folks!  Just keepin' it real. That is baking with a 3 year-old
A more refined photo of the Baking Soda.  Just pretend the previous one didn't happen.
Recipe said a moderate oven. I can do that!

Dry ingredients mixed together.  I sprinkled a little salt in.
I always used salted butter so I usually cut back the salt that is called for in recipes.

All mixed up!  Don't forget to grease your pan.  I just usually use non-stick spray.
See, I can bake healthy.  Just ignore my constant use of butter. ha.

Pour the vinegar, vanilla, butter into three wells or depressions. I prefer wells. Depression is a sad word for a cake. ha.

Mixed up cake before it goes into the oven.  "Connor, keep your fingers out!" That might or might not have been said a few times. You can draw your own conclusion.

Putting it into the oven.  Yes, my oven is dirty.  I consider it a badge of honor for motherhood.
 I cook and bake all the time so it just stays a little "used".



A little baking music from Jack.



Finished Cake.  Make sure not to bake it too long!



I added canned frosting and sugar sprinkles on top.  A "Snow Day Wacky Cake".  Normally I would make my own but Mollie is getting tired so this will just have to do!

Cue Jack's keyboard music mix............The reviews are in.............................
The finished product!
Jack LOVED it!!!!

Mollie LOVED it!!!!

The Con Man in his shorts and t-shirt LOVED it too!

Final opinion:  We all loved it.  So easy to make and very delicious!  I better get my best house dress on and get ready to cut a piece for the Mister when he gets home from a hard day's work.  Maybe I will wear something like this..
Or maybe not!  Until next time!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment