Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Avant, OK- The week of July 8

Sat. July 8
 I was sick all AM. Lucile and I both took medicine. She made a cake. I sprinkled about 18 shirts. Ironed some before supper. Got supper and then ironed shirts until about 10:30.
All went to town but me. I stayed with Byron. Was glad to get those shirts ironed. Then I washed the dishes and was glad to retire. Wrote to Ellery in the A.M.
The Jones Kids Minus Shelley.

Sunday, July 9
Stanley woke me up and asked me why I didn't want to go on a picnic. Told him I did want to go but didn't know they were going. Told him they needed to wait until after SS. It was 9:20 and here came Mr. Hare. Everybody liked to have had a fit because I wanted to go to SS but I went anyway. No one was there yet. Before they commenced, the girls came after me. We went to the hotel and it poured down until noon. We were disappointed as the boys had so many nice things to take. Mrs. Long let us have the dining room and we spread our lunch and had a dandy time. The crowd was Stanley, Dr. Beeler, hare, Ray Riggs, Mrs. Hamrick, Mary, Henry, Carrie Hastings, Lucile and myself. About 4:30 we took a melon out to our house. Took pictures, played tennis, sang and played and had lots of fun. Boys came back and we went to show. I wanted to go to church but no one else did.  Riggs is cute- He and Lucile seemed to make a hit with each other- I think.  I had to go with Dr. Beeler.  He is okay but very short and little.


Monday, July 10
Had a time getting ready to go to Pawhuska to see Bryan. (I am about 99% sure this was William Jennings Bryan) Lucile was behind- as usual. Train whistled. We grabbed prims (hats), etc.. ran and made it o.k. Bummed around all morning. Tried to get films for Kodaking. Went to 12:30 train to meet Bryan. Big crowd. He made is welcome address in front of Duncan Hotel. We shook hands with him. Dollie and Christine joined us there. Dollie and I had fun all P.M. Very warm. Went out to Chautauqua grounds and heard the speech and Guards Italian Band, fine! Intended to come home at 3:55 but wouldn't have heard all the lecture or the band.  Dollie insisted we stay. Met Fryer in town and went to ice cream parlor. Then out to Aunt Dollie's. Boys came out and we went to the concert. Had lots of fun. I told Dollie I was going to go with Fryer. We were glad to get home and retire. Sent cards to Ell and Ray. He was thinking of going with us but didn't. Christine was sick and had to leave lecture.
Christine Peery, Trixie Jones, Dollie Fox. Not sure who the other young lady is.
William Jennings Bryan click for bio info


Tuesday, July 11
Hated to get up. Didn't think we would have time to eat but Mr. and Mrs. Peery insisted so we ate a few hurried mouthfuls- Girls went part way to train got there just as they yelled, "All Aboard!"
I stayed at store. Papa had several calls. Byron better. Papa got so sleepy he went up about 4 to sleep. Sent Lucile down so I could go up and snooze. I was so sleepy I could hardly stay awake. Turned real cool, cloudy and windy. Ray came out to play tennis and take Lucile to the show but it began to rain and never did quit entirely. We sang a long time and then went out on the porch. Stan (stanley) wanted to go to bed and though he never would get to!

The train depot in Pawhuska.  It is now a museum.
Wednesday, July 12
Very muddy and cloudy all day. Real cool tho. Stayed in store along most of the day. Got letter from Ellery. Ruth Lacke was in. Papa brought us some melon. Then we went to drug store (this was George Gideon's drug store (Trixie and Geo didn't know each other very well as of this time) and had some cream. I walked part way home with her. Went by to see Mrs. Davidson and Mrs. Darby's daughter-in-law, Mrs. Green. Still cloudy. Lucile wanted to play tennis but I thought it was too muddy.  Byron still sick and about the same. I came to town about dark. Came home with Mama. Dad went to the lodge and beat us home.


Advertisement from the Avant newspaper, The Avant Hustler.

Thursday, July 13
Was raining when I awoke. Began about 2 or 3. Water, water everywhere and mud, oh! my! Went to 8 o'clock train expecting Aunt Lulu but she didn't come. (This was just a few months after Uncle John Riffe's death- I am sure Aunt Lulu was still heavily grieving from the loss of her husband.)
Took Byron some ice cream. Still sick.  Am reading the "Shepherd of the Hill's". Lucile, Juanita and I met the 2:37 train.They went on up home.  Lucile went to the PO and Ray joined her. I wrote to Ell in AM and Papa went to supper at 5. Ray came over and we had quite a chat. Lucile and I went to choir practice- big bunch or girls there.We came back by town and stepped in mud.

"The Shepherd of the Hills Book info- Very Interesting!

Friday, July 14
Lucile ironed, I came to the store. Cleaned up a little and read. Went over to Nila's to practice a song.
The inside of Papa Jones' Variety Store. Trixie and Lucile are standing at the counter.




No comments:

Post a Comment