Monday, March 17, 2014

Monday, September 4 to Friday, September 22- Avant, OK 1911

Avant, Oklahoma- 1911

Monday September 4
Raining some.  Mama came to town.  Real muddy.  I cleaned up- sprinkled clothes and ironed.  Byron and I got dinner.  Kids started to school.  I ironed again in the after noon.  Cleaned up good and scrubbed.  Juanita was the muddiest thing I ever saw.  Bathed her and washed her head.  Paddled her once or twice for running off and getting in the mud.  I came to town about 6.  Hare, Beeler and curly were in.  We went home about 9.  Stanley didn't go to town after supper.  Rained some more.  I started a letter to Ellery but Hare came in and wouldn't let me finish it.
Juanita Jones

Tuesday, September 5
Cleaned up good and ironed awhile.  Came down about 11.  Dad went to Tulsa.  No biz at all.  Wrote to Ell.  Sent a card to Lynne.  Read some.  Geo stopped as he went to dinner.  Came back in PM.  Dad phoned he wouldn't be back.  Mrs. Creamer sat awhile.  Hare and Beeler were here nearly all day.  Bee Crawford, Hare and I went to new drug store and had cream.  After supper, Curly, Dessie and Campbell were here.  Mr. Moore also- thought he would never go.
Add caption

Wednesday, September 6
Came down about 7 and opened up.  Cleaned up good.  Dr. Beeler stayed in here for me while I went to PO and then Byron came.  Went up with Dr. B to measure his curtains.  Came back and made them for him.  Geo was in.  I wrote in Diary and Papa came back on 2:37.
Edgar Jones

Thursday, September 7
Raining.  Had to wear boots to town.  Rained nearly all day.  Mama came down and we fixed a little for the sale.  When I came down at noon, Mr. Hamrick and George laughed at my boots.  Was rainy and we didn't come back after supper.  Big clap of thunder and lightening scared us.  Papa came home early.  We read.
Some of the Jones family

Friday, September 8
Mr. Warden came to manage sale.  We worked all day marking and arranging things.  After supper, Lucile was out in front and Geo came up and stayed a long time.  I was busy inside of course.  Then went out there.  Curly came over and all went to show.  Had to beg Curly to go.  Came to store and had melon then Lucile and Curly went home.
Trixie and Geo


Saturday, September 9
To town early.  Was quite busy.  It began to rain about 10:30.  I had to go up and out windows down.  Cooked dinner while there and brought everybodys lunch down.  Run about 85.00.  Read some.  Got a letter from El on the 2:37.  Lots of excitement.  A man hit his wife- everybody crowded around.  Geo came down and wanted to go somewhere on Sunday.  He and Lucile wanted to go on a picnic.  She went to the show with Carl and Maudie.  Geo and I went.  Curly didn't come over at all.  Lucile and I went home early.  She ironed and I washed dishes.  Awfully muddy.  We decided to go Kodaking.
Byron and Juanita

Sunday, September 10
Bright day but Oh! How hot!  Went to Sunday School.  I had to play.  Looked for George and Curly.  Here came Hare and Glenn.  Stayed quite awhile.  We didn't know why they came but thought they were up to something.  Lucile went after the mail and met  Geo.  They came back and we went Kodaking about 3:30.  Had lots of fun.  Curly didn't come.  Sure was hot.  We came home had a little lunch.  Tomatoes- out of our garden.  Lucile and I went to see new school teachers and Maudie.  Geo came and we went to church.  Thought he was going to bring Faulkner but couldn't find him.

Trixie and Geo kodaking.

Monday, September 11
Very, Very hot.  Real busy.  Wrote to Ellery.  George was in about 4. Barely didn't get to talk to him.  Took letters to train.  Met Curly on my way to supper.  He came over after supper- Lucile left as soon as he came.  Then she stayed in the store and finally went to the show but wouldn't talk to him at all.  Sure got next to him- he finally went over to retire and gave it up.  Geo went to Bartlesville.  Hare and Beeler here.  Lucile , Hare and I went over to the new drug store and had cream.
Juanita, Mama Jones, Trixie, Lucile and Anna Jones

Tuesday, September 12
Still very,very hot.  Not so busy.  Went up about 11.  Got dinner and then Juanita and I took a nap.  Hot! Oh! My!  Down after supper.  Lucile didn't come.  Curly was in for a minute.  Went down to drug store and had a Dr. Pepper with Mr. Wadren.  He came in on 2:37.  Went out about in front 10 to cool off.  Geo came down.  I didn't know he had returned.  So hot.  Couldn't sleep for long,long time.  I took some pictures of the kids at noon.
Juanita Jones

Wednesday, September 13
Washed dished then washed front part of my hair.  Came down about 9:30.  Not very busy.  Juanita and I went to see Mrs. Darby's daughters little baby.  So tiny.  Weighs 3 1/2 lbs.  Went up early and got dinner.  Washed dishes and took a little nap.  Made Dr. Beeler's pillow slips.  Awful HOT felt bad.

Juanita and her doll.  

Thursday, September 14
Still very,very hot and windy.  Quite busy.  Lucile and I went to show with Geo.

Friday, September 15
Never was so tired of hot weather.  Real busy.  Geo and his boys in as usual.  He, Lucile and I went to show again- "Dalton Raid" tonight.   Got letter from Ellery.
Click on link for more about the Dalton Gang show 

Saturday, September 16
Mama didn't come down.  She and Lucile washed.  Geo was in during the morning several times.  He kept asking what were we going to do tomorrow.  Dad is blue and disgusted and you know.  I was so worried all day.  So busy in the PM- couldn't wait on everyone.  Felt bad after supper about Papa and cried behind the organ.  Lucile and I were out in front- Geo came down again asking about tomorrow.  We had planned to go to dripping springs but decided to go kodaking.  Wrote to Ellery in the AM.

Sunday, September 17
Went to SS and Church.  Dad went with us.  Before SS Geo came out to tell us he couldn't get a rig to go anywhere.  Was so sleepy afternoon.  Went to sleep and about 2 when Geo came I was piled upon the bed.  Had to dress from top to toe.  Lucile entertained him while I dressed.  Then she went after the mail.  We three then went up on the hill kodaking. Had lots of fun.  But Oh! My!  How hungry and tired I was.  Geo came back after supper and we went to church.
Planting garden

Monday, September 18
I came to store and Mama sewed. Didn't seem very busy but did real well.  Hot all day till about 5:30- then turned cool.  Lucile came down after school and I went up home and sewed until 6.  She didn't come back after supper.  Geo was in.  Curly came and G left.  Planning to go to the 101 show Wed. Wrote to Dollie and Lynne.  
Click for 101 Show info

Tuesday, September 19
Still cool, wore sweater.  Not busy but got in a lot too.  Geo was in while Papa was at dinner.  Saw Carl and Maudie at noon.  They wanted to know if we were going to the show in the afternoon about 4:30.  When I started home, I walked up the street with Maudie.  She wanted to stop in drug store and ask Geo about going.  (Not me)- I hiked on.  Mama came down after supper and I went to the show.  Dr. Beeler wanted Lucile and me to go but Dad was gone and I had to stay here.  Curly and Hare were out in front.  Mrs. Beal and Mrs. Barton came in and stayed and stayed.  I was dying to get out in front.  Geo came down and said he couldn't go to the show unless Greenwood came back.  He came back again later and said he didn't come so he had to stay.  He seemed really very sorry.  Said Wed. go to circus Fri.  I was kinda disappointed.  After we went home, Lucile and I tried on every winter dud and hat we have.  We are crazy for winter to come.  All stopped in and had a dish of chili  each on our way home.

Wednesday, September 20
Cloudy.  Mama washed.  Cool  and pleasant.  Sewing some.  Vaudeville Show.  Dad went.  George was down twice for me to go but I was here alone and couldn't get off.  Curly was in awhile too.  Got a letter from Ell.

Thursday, September 21
Still quite cool and pleasant.  Not very busy.  Wrote to Shelley and Ellery.  Card to Aunt Carrie and Dessie.  Stayed at home in PM and ironed.  Sewed some too.  Fixed Dresses and things.  Minnie was in showing us some pictures.  Geo came in while he was there but didn't stay long.  Lucile and I went to Hamricks and drug store.  Geo took us to the show.  Got everything ready for show.
George Gideon with the bow tie.  Not sure who the other guy is pictured.

Friday, September 22
Got up early and went to store.  Maudie, Carl and Geo came by and we all went to Barnam and Bailey Circus in Tulsa.  Barnum & Bailey Circus 1911 Schedule
Had lots of fun.  Stanley, Byron and Edgar went.  Lucile didn't want to miss school or tag along.  We shopped awhile, watched parade from Warden's window.  Lots of people from Avant.  We bummed around.  Had supper and then came to train.  Had lots of fun.  Geo bought me a little telephone.  Came by store and went home soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment