Sunday, August 27
Cloudy- We got ready and came by town before SS. Rained a little all AM. Didn't stay for church. Lucile went home with Eleanor Davidson. I got dinner, then cleaned up and got dressed. Geo came out. We went to game. Avant VS Bigheart- 9-2. Favor of Avant. Lucile and a crowd went to oil city to organize a sunday school. Geo and I backed each other out to walk there. We started and then I suggested we go to the swinging bridge. He called me a "piker" (meaning being cautious). Some boys swiped a melon off of a wagon. Lucile and Mr. Hare brought it home and we ate it. Kids said they'd get even. Had fun with boxing gloves. Lucile and I came to supper with Mr. Hare. The dining room was closed so he bought us a chicken sandwich. He and Lucile, Fred Glen and Mary, Geo and I came in at home and we sang awhile. Got a letter from Ellery. Didn't see Curly all day.
| Geo and Trix on the infamous swinging bridge |
Monday, August 28
Very cool. Wore sweater. Just felt fine. Came down early and washed dishes and windows. Wrote to Ellery. Mr. Hare was in. Not much business. Mr. Houk of Wynona brought a load of melons in. We put them on porch and caused a lot of excitement. Dr. Beeler was over several times. Mary- once. Curly was over here a long time after supper and Geo came by as he came from supper. We had fun out of Curly and Lucile. She went to the show. Mama's cousin from Clifton came today. Bettie and Willie Rutherford.`
Bettie Rutherford was the Grand daughter of Anne "Annie" Riffe who was a sister to Mama Jones Paternal Grandfather, Dr. George Chilton Riffe. I think he and Anne "Annie" Riffe were siblings. They lived in Kentucky when they came to visit Avant in 1911.
| Prairie Men in Avant |
Tuesday, August 29
Cool again. Came down to the PO about 8. Made a white apron and cleaned up store. Hare was in a minute. Went over to Wests with Hilda Meyers. Mr. Hawk brought a wagon full of melons over from Wynona. We cut some in front of the store. Fine kids over as usual. Mary and Lucile went to show. Geo was out here so he and I went.
| The Avant Girls Basketball Team. Lucile Jones is in the white sweater in the middle. |
Wednesday, August 30
Not much doing. Maudie was in in the am. so was Mr. Hare. Ruth was down in pm. She and I bummed as usual. Went to PO and drug store. I walked home with her and then she came back. I went part way with her. We got up a little surprise for her. 7 or 8 couples.
Dr. Beeler and Mary
Curly and Irma
Hare and Icel- ha! ha!
Stanley and Addie- ha!
Mr. Faulkner and Lucile
Campbell and Dessie
George and me
Had lots of fun. Lucile and Cousin Willie went hunting.
| George Gideon, Trixie Jones, Not sure, Lucile Jones and Stanley Jones |
Thursday, August 31
Came down early. Cleaned up. Minnie and Campbell fixed my Kodak. Curly was over a long time and said he liked Lucile as well as ever. Hare and Minnie were back in too. Minnie left. We cut melon and were eating it in the back yard. Geo came in and hid from us. Then went to track- slight wreck of freight train. New goods came in. We worked a long time. Cousin Bettie, Byron and everyone came to town. Lucile and I had lots of fun teasing each other. Curly and George both went out with Peck and Reinharts- "watermelon stealing"???? We were all glad to get home and retire.
Friday, September 1
Marking up and putting up goods all day. Didn't sit out in front until late. Mama was tired and didn't come down. After supper, cousin Bettie did. Mr. Moore was here. Campbell and Dessie got up a surprise party on Mary. We all intended to go. I went home with Cousin Bettie and changed my dress. Curly was out in front. He and Lucile were having a chat. She asked him for her picture. Everyone kept butting in. George was in and talked awhile. He made a date to go to Ramona on Sunday. Kids gathered here and about 9:30 when we all started to the party, Dad said it was too late to go. That broke the bunch as Lucile, Dessie and I were the only girls. Didn't want to go but hated to have papa "get down on it then".
Saturday, September 2
Up early. Took folks pictures. Went to train. Papa and Mama and cousins went to Collinsville. Cleaned up store good. Put goods up in shelves. Geo was in several times. I told him to get Curly to go tomorrow. Not much trade. Made linen buttons. Musser and Hamrick were in. Curly was in here but left when they came. He and Lucile had a little talk at the back door and made up. They are going with Geo and me tomorrow. We had lots of fun over it. Bunch out in front as usual. All went to train and ate melon. Lucile and I went to drug store and had cream. About 10:30 we heard a shot and then three real quickly. Dad hadn't come yet. Scared us. Got a letter from Ellery.
Sunday, September 3
Real hot. We had quite a time getting off to SS- came by store. Stanley and Mr. Moore took dinner at Landis about 1:30. Curly and Geo came in a big rig without a top. We went to ball game at Ramona then had some lemonade. Left before game was over. Had lots of fun. Teased Geo about his girlfriend out there. Sun went behind a cloud and it was so cool and nice. Got home just about dark. Lucile and I went to church. I had to play. Mr. Moore came home with us.


No comments:
Post a Comment