To store. Very good trade. Went by Mr. Hamricks. Boys were in at noon. Curly begged me to tell him the "trade last" (Trade last is a complimentary remark by a third person that a hearer offers to repeat to the person complimented if he or she will first report a compliment made about the hearer. My Mom said Trixie played tradelast with her all through her childhood.) I had. Dr. B and Hare left so I told him what Miss Johnson had said about him. Had a home talent play. Pretty good. Lucile was waiting for Curly. I went to the show alone and then here she came- alone. Curly was working so he came later and sat by us. After, we went to the drug store. Then he went in to get a shine. Dad had closed up so we had to leave him. Byron about the same. Miss Lackey and I bummed.
| Lucile Jones |
Sunday, August 13
Washed hair. We went to SS and church. I played and taught class. After dinner, I had on big apron and had my hair hanging over the head of the couch and was asleep on the front porch. Curly came up and pulled my hair and woke me up. Wanted us to go to ballgame. Lucile was going but I just hated to on Byron's account. but Papa said he wasn't so bad that I should be afraid to leave. So we went. Avant got beat. Came by drug store and then home. Curly came back after supper. He and Lucile went to the show. I went to church. Sat awhile and watched the moon come up. Sure was pretty. Nice and cool all day.
| Juanita at Bird Creek |
Monday, August 14
Hot again. Very good trade. Bought two melons. Curly was over several times. He started to tell me about the time when he started to get married and then Dad came in. Bridge burned out between here and Tulsa so no trains. Mama told Lucile she couldn't go to town tonight, she was sleepy all day. She stayed while we went to supper then kept staying. We took pictures to Mrs. Branon. Geo came along and asked us to go to show. We took him up on it of course. Curly was out here but wouldn't go "cause he ate onions". Stanley came in to see what we were ready to go home. Made Geo feel foolish I think.
Tuesday, August 15
Hot again! Nothing much to write. Boys were over. Curly, Lucile, Hare and I went to the show, when we came out, Papa had closed up. When we go to Jones corner, I told the kids that they didn't have to walk way out here if they didn't want to. Hare blew up. He said if I didn't want him to go to just spit it out." I didn't dream of making him mad. I hated but it was too late then and Curly came on. Dance tonight. Stanley didn't come home- stayed with Hare.
| I think that is Stanley. Not sure who the other kid is. |
Wednesday, August 16
I went down real early. Papa had to go to Compton's. I called Mr. Hare over and apologized to him. He was very friendly but took it as a package anyway. Curly came too and they stayed a long time. Lucile was down after supper. Curly was over of course but didn't stay a long time. Lucile and Edgar went to West's and then to drug store. I went over after them and we went home. Byron better.
| Papa Jones and Edgar |
Thursday, August 17
Dad went to Tulsa to buy some goods. Kerfoot Miller's man (Big dry goods store in OKC) came on 8 train. Waited all day. Then he and Mama went on down on 1:45 train to buy goods. Curly was over. He went and got the mail. He brought me a letter from El. He stayed all PM and we had quite a chat. He told me all about his old girls. Stanley stayed in store while I went to supper. Had a big fight while I was gone . He was tickled to death that he got to see it. Curly stayed out here with Lucile sitting with Byron. Hare was over. Mr. Moore popped along and took me to the show. Folks came in at 9. Lucile and I talked and giggled until Dad called us down. I felt bad.
| Stanley Jones |
Friday, August 18
Papa and I went up to Tulsa on 8 and bought some goods. Did a little shopping and just barely had time to make 1:30 train. I came back home. We sewed a little on the linen dress. Went back about 6. Curly took Lucile to show. We closed up and started home and Dad decided to wait for the kids. Made Curly sore and I didn't blame him much. Lucile was mad too but didn't say a word. I told Dad he shouldn't have waited for them. I felt foolish for he waited in front of the drug store. I went in awhile and then to Hamrick's. Was sorry about Curly. He worked today. Commenced to emb. collar. Hare, Curly and Geo came by.
| Shelley and Anna Jones with Dr. EA and Annie Jones in front of the drug store. Anna was Shelley's first wife. Trixie wrote on the back that Anna was a very nice lady. |
Saturday, August 19
Went to store early. Cleaned up good. Wrote to Ellery. Had pretty good trade. Curly was over after dinner. I tried to fix up the deal last night with him. He went to train and mailed my letters. He and Lucile went to show and dance. We kept open real late. Mrs. Musser was over. Put screens up today. Hot as ever. Sat out on porch all PM. Byron some better.
| Lucile, Aunt Lulu,Annie Jones, Juanita, Edgar and Byron. I think the other lady might be Aunt Carrie but not sure. |
Sunday, August 20
Mama felt bad. We got breakfast and cleaned up. Went to SS and church. Sure hot today. Got dinner and took a nap. Lucile and Curly went to ball game. Bartlesville VS Avant. I piddled around in my trunk, fixed a letter and played some. Hare, Stanley, Curly, Lucile came out and we played and sang. Took a picture or two. Lucile and I went to glass factory. Curly kept saying that Mama just didn't want to ask him to eat supper. Lucile told him that we wanted to go to church and knew he wouldn't go so he walked by school house with us. Was sore at her. Byron is lots better.
| Look at her stole. Yikes! |
Monday, August 21
Went to store and cleaned up. Then wind began to blow and oh! my! How hot and dirty it was. I told Dad I wanted to leave this country. I emb on my dress and went home about 4. Helped sew a little. Got supper and came back. Lucile didn't come down. Curly was over after supper. We sang out on the porch. Dr. Beeler and Mary were over too.
| Hanging out on the front porch. |
Tuesday, August 22
Cleaned store up good. It surely was a sight! Lucile was down in PM. I bummed around some with Ruth. Curly brought 2:37 mail over and stayed awhile. Thought he would see Lucile I think but she was gone. They sure have a time. New shoes came. We marked them and put some up. Mama finished my linen dress and I wore it to town. Cloudy and began to sprinkle when we started home.
Wednesday, August 23
Mama is making my pink gingham dress. We cleaned up the store real good. Changed everything and looked lots better. Not much business. Wore linen dress. Everybody thought it looked so pretty. Mary and I went after mail. Curly came up while I was talking to her. He said he liked my dress fine. Lucile came down about 4:30. I got my supper. Irma gave a surprise party for Mrs. Stafford. We met at Blanche's and then went to hall. Curly walked with Irma and Lucile with Hare. Those kids are dandies. Mrs. Darnell told fortunes and they danced. Rained before we left. First day Curly didn't come over to see me. Cool.
Thursday, August 24
Lucile came to store. I ironed. Got dinner. Cleaned up house good and ironed before dinner. Dr. Beeler, Hare, Carrie, Curly, Geo and Mary were over. Dr. Beeler and Mary are having trouble again. We three girls went to show. Muddy. Rained again last night. Byron felt like dressing and came to the table. Real cool.
| Stanley, Lucile, George Gideon and Trixie |
Friday, August 25
Bright sunshiny morning. Came down about 9 and wrote in diary. Lucile came down about 10. Bunch out here again. Mr. Hare, Minnie and Dessie. We ate about 4 melons in the back yard. Curly was over also. We had a big fight before we quit. Had lots of fun. After supper, Dessie, Roy Campbell, Dr. Beeler, Mary and Curly were over. We had lots of fun.
Saturday, August 26
Came down about 9. Scared green all day. Dad was trying to collect some accounts and was about to have trouble. Hope I will never put in another day like it. Was worried to death. Mama came down in PM and I went to dinner. Geo had made a date to go to show about 5. Papa and Mr. Shuman nearly had a fight about a debt. Gee it was awful. Carley came over a few minutes. Lucile came down, we didn't go to supper was afraid Dad would get into trouble. About 8:30, Geo came to go to the show. Curly was out here. He asked him and Lucile to go but both made excuses. They are still cross wise. Dr. Beeler and Mary are both on the outs too. Real funny. Geo made a date for the ballgame.
| Some of the Jones family outside the store. |
No comments:
Post a Comment